The proceedings from the GSC meeting on 2006-08-30
GSC Agenda: August 30, 2006: 6:00-8:00 – FOOD @ 5:45!
Graduate Community Center – Nairobi Room
Quorum for this meeting is eight voting members.
1. 5:45 FOOD (thanks Dirk!)
2. 6:00 Welcome with Introductions (Jenny)
3. 6:05 Announcements (Jenny)
i. Minutes from 8/16
ii. Graduate Student Information Center, opens Tuesday, September 5, 2006 until Friday, September 29, 2006 at the 2nd Floor of the Graduate Community
Center, 750 Escondido Road, 9am-5pm.
iii. Reception for New Graduate Students at President Hennessey’s Home, Hoover House Lawn. Thursday, September 21, 2006, 3:30pm-5pm.
iv. GOALIE Information Fair and Lunch for Graduate Students. Friday, September 22, 2006, 12noon-2pm. Law School Quad.
v. GSC Welcome Leaflet is done and will be distributed to new grad students. Please review it and let Jenny know if there are corrections that need to be made. Thanks!
vi. Programming Credit Card should be arriving in September thanks to Justin Fishner-Wolfson and Matt McDonald!
4. 6:10 Welcome Back Party (Maxim and Fen)
5. 6:25 Payroll form reminder (Maxim)
6. 6:30 New VPGE (Jenny and Paul)
- General discussion
7. 6:40 GSC Autumn Quarter Meetings (Jenny)
- As was done last year, would it be possible to have the meetings from 6:30-8:00 PM due to a pesky law school course ending at 6:15 PM? Jenny would be ever-so grateful.
8. 6:50 GSC Open Positions (Jenny)
- Maria Spletter has agreed to be the Flicks Coordinator and Bulletin Coordinator! Maria = Rockstar!!!
- Positions still open: PR Officer; Webmaster; Food Czar; Advocacy Committee Chairs for Academic Issues, Childcare, International Student Issues, Legislative Action, Parking & Transportation
- Any ideas?
9. 7:00 Grad Student Orientations (Jenny)
- To have a presence on campus, GSC members need to present at the orientations of their department.
- Who has talked to their orientation coordinators to see if we can present for 5 minutes? When are the presentations?
- We have developed a statement that can be used as an outline for the orientation presentation. Jenny is happy to attend with you!
10. 7:10 GSC Branded Promotional Items (Jenny)
- Review selections and vote on what to purchase
11. 7:20 GSC Retreat (Jenny)
- October 6-8th or 13-15th?
12 7:25 Reserves (Jenny and Paul)
- General discussion
13. 7: 45 New Business
14. 7:50 Adjourn meeting
Tarun Khurana *(proxy for Cullen Buie)
1. One correction to the minutes from 8/16/06: Donna was Jeff Laretto’s proxy
Jenny: Any objections to accepting the minutes from last meeting? (no) Passes by consensus
2. Grad student info center opens Tuesday, September 5, 2006 until Friday, September 29, 2006 at the 2nd floor of the graduate community center, 750 Escondido road 9am – 5pm
3. Reception for new graduate students at president Hennessey’s home Hoover House Lawn. Thursday September 21st, 2006 3:30 pm – 5pm
4. GOALIE Information fair and lunch for grad students. Friday September 22nd, 2006 12pm – 2pm. Law school quad.
5. GSC welcome leaflet is done and will be distributed to new grad students Please review and let Jenny know if there are corrections that need to be made.
Jenny/Maria need to check with 750 Pub to see if we have approval for the coupon. If there are other suggestions please let Jenny/Maria know about additional info or corrections.
Dirk: I think front has too much information and careful about saying stuff about boasting the list of things that Stanford offers grad students
6. Programming Credit Card should be arriving in September thanks to Justin Fishner-Wolfson and Matt McDonald!
Programming credit card: finally going to happen next Thursday it will be picked up. (Visa with bank of America – can’t use at Costco)
1. Welcome Party (Fen & Maxim)
Sept 20th at 9pm – 1am
Need Volunteers: need sober monitors/beer distributors/set-up/clean-up
Fen would like to start getting a base of volunteers and include perks for the volunteers i.e. dinner before hand, t-shirts, etc
Jenny: We were tossing around some ideas such as gift certificates, t-shirts.
Paul: Dinner before hand will help promote interactions between volunteers
Alex: If it is in Hacienda we can put up a banner to advertise the GSC.
Fen: We can get lights as well and put them up. If anyone has more ideas beyond food/music/drinks for fun things we could have at the party please let me know.
Alex: Are we going to get the 6-man club?
Fen: We can do that.
Jenny: Can we work with the Athletics club, we’ve done that before and it’s worked well. If someone comes up with some programming to include in the welcome back bbq for families as we’ve been trying to incorporate families into our planning please let us know.
2. Maxim: Payroll
Everyone needs to fill out another form to get paid for fall.
If you are an old employee fill out another orange form.
If you are a new employee fill out orange form, white form, and attach a copy of your passport.
Adam: Didn’t we already do this?
Maxim: It’s a new fiscal year so we need to fill in the forms again
Jenny: So if you want to get paid stay after the meeting and fill out the forms.
3. Funding: Adam
1. Scandinavian Group (Annual Budget): The Scandinavian group has been around since 2000. Most of the events on the list have been around for a few years. The first event is the crayfish event (usually >60 people come). The next event is the welcome party with Scandinavian treats (i.e. smoked salmon) (~100 people come), there is a third event in the fall where we serve mulled wine/baked goods/seasonal music (~50 people attend), in the spring there is a spring bbq, and in the summer a summer-solstice with pickled fish/boiled potatoes. This year we would also like to show some Scandinavian movies.
Jenny: Any objections (none) passes by consensus
2. Association of Chinese Students and Scholars at Stanford: The group would like to have a welcome event. The event will include a speaker/new student handbook/food. We expect ~200 students (100 new, 100 old) to attend. Additionally in mid October we will have a moon festival party (a yearly event). This will happen in the evening to enjoy the full moon and we will have moon cake. This is event brings families together and so is important to have in order to show the new student they are welcome here. This year we will also have an outdoor movie
Adam: questions? The budget was modified as they do not have to rent speakers. The total is now $2499.
Song: we have recently checked the price of moon cake from last year and it has increased and so they may want to increase the budget.
Adam: no one has mentioned this to me – I think they have a different source.
Xiao: who should I contact to get projector
Adam: The information is on the website.
Dirk: Is this the annual budget?
Adam: No it is just for fall events.
Dirk: How many people are in the student group?
Xiao: About 600.
Jenny: Any objections to funding the group for $2499? (none) Passes by consensus.
3. Third group – Hacienda association not here.
4. New VPGE: (Jenny)
Today there was an announcement regarding Patricia **.
Jenny & Paul will set up meeting with her in the near future.
Maria: When does she start?
Jenny: She starts in January which is later then we expected.
Matt: She is from the Ed school and studies Higher Education. She has been director of big organization and has published lots of papers on graduate student direction (she’s on my committee). Students in classes always have good things to say about her and she’s very approachable.
Dirk: How much time is this position and how much money?
Jenny: The position is full time, and I don’t know her salary.
Fen: Have they nailed down the job description?
Jenny: No so it will be important for the GSC to step in and ensure our role. She mentioned that diversity was important to her. We’ll have to work hand in hand with her early on to get specific programs out.
5. New Dean of Students: (Paul)
Maurine Powers is the new Dean Students.
Traditionally new dean of students is more focused on undergrads but we will speak and try to interact with her.
6. Autumn Quarter times: (Jenny)
Law school class is offering a class that I’d like to attend that ends at 6pm so I’d like to start the meeting a little later (6:30). Is everyone willing to do that?
Kristina: Can we start at 6:15 so I can make the 8:41 train?
Jenny: Yes, I’ll just miss some of the announcements is running the meeting from 6:15 until 8:15 ok?
7. Positions: (Jenny)
Maria has stepped up to organize Flicks, and be Bulletin Coordinator (thanks!!).
Matt/Dirk are going to split the Food Tzar responsibilities (thanks!!).
Paul stepping down from Webmaster and so we need someone to replace him.
We also need people for the PR officer/Webmaster/Advocacy Committee chairs for academic issues, childcare, international student issues, legislative action, parking and transportation.
Does anyone have ideas on how we can advertise for these positions?
Matt: Could we advertise the position (paid) for PR in the B-school and get someone to run and the advertising campaign for the GSC.
Maxim: Why the GSB? Don’t think that we should limit it to the GSB
Matt: Well we don’t have to restrict it to the B-school. They can get the word out.
Matt: I was also thinking that the B-school people come early
Maria: Good idea, they don’t have to be in the GSC.
Jenny: I like the idea of a targeted email but should we change the salary for the position?
Matt: Ideally we’d get someone for the full year but we should say that the bulk of the work is at the beginning of the year.
Fen: Regarding the webmaster, I think the u-grad rep said that they wanted to hire a professional.
Jenny: They did, but after reviewing the ugrad website we decided not to go with their format because it makes more sense for what we need. If you have friends in compsci who would be willing to run the website let me know.
Fen: How much time does it take?
Paul: It kind of varies for the hours. It’s a lot easier now then it was before. the main thing is just updating and having things like a flashy ad for the welcome back bbq. The other thing that takes up lots of time is the thanksgiving thing because people need to register on-line in advance.
Kristina: Martin Mueller has said he will be the chair for the Parking and Transportation committee, I said I’d be the GSC liaison.
8. Grad student Orientations: (Jenny)
Jenny has a 5 minute blurb that she can give to use at the department/school orientations. We also have give-aways but people need to talk to their departments to get on schedule.
Adam: This is something everyone should be doing.
Paul: Let’s make it an action item for everyone to go and speak with their school/department to get on the schedule
Matt: Can we right up a list of talking points like big events?
Jenny: Yes – I’ll bring that next week.
9. Giveaway Ideas:
see hand out.
Adam: need something that is cheap and that people will use. The bottle openers everybody uses. If we get sandals we can only afford a few.
Maria: The bag things are more expensive but not could be cool for drawings and volunteers.
Jenny: Right now we need to have something for GOALIE.
Maxim: We have $3000 for GOALIE.
Kristina: I like the metal bottle openers rather then plastic
Maxim: At the last meeting someone suggested water bottles.
Fen/Kristina: I like the idea of water bottles.
Jenny: Bottle openers, good. What about lip balm?
Dirk: I never looked at it after I got it.
Jeff: I used the lip balm all the time.
Fen: I like
Jenny: ID wallet with the key ring?
Adam: I think that everyone has a wallet and we already have a key ring.
Jeff: what about shot glasses
Jenny: down to: bottle opener, lip balm, water bottles, sports bag, shot glass.
Matt: Let’s think about our audience. Do we want everyone to have shot glasses with bottle openers?
Paul: Which can we get for goalie? And which should we maybe decide on later.
Adam: I think we should get all at once.
Jenny: We need to get more info on bottles.
Fen: Will the lip balm go bad?
Kristina: We can check to see if it has an expiry date
Maxim: What about pens?
Jenny: We have lots of pens.
Jenny: Bottle openers – do people like the 1st, 2nd or 3rd?
Paul/Jeff: 1st – we should get 1000.
Jenny: Lip balm?
Fen: What about bike lights?
Jenny: Lip balm – preference about which kind? and how many?
Kristina: I’d like to try before we buy them.
Jenny: I’ll try and get samples before the next meeting. What flavors does everyone like? Berry, Rootbeer, Mint, Citrus.
Adam: Let’s only look at the last two pairs (no minimum order)
Jenny: Not getting great support for the sandals so moving on.
Jenny: What about sports bags for GOALIE?
Yana: We should hand the cool things out at the first two events.
Paul: maybe we should get 250 and if they all disappear get more.
Jenny: good idea. Objections? (none)
Jenny: We will definitely get sports bags and bottle openers. I will try to bring lip balm to test at the next meeting. I will get information about water bottles.
10: Retreat (Jenny and Paul)
The 6th to 8th or the 13th to 15th our Jenny and Paul’s preferred dates. Are there any conflicts with those dates?
Kristina: The blue grass festival in San Francisco is the 6th until 8th.
Jenny: we could incorporate that into the retreat – will look into it.
Yana: The biochem retreat maybe the 4th until the 6th. I will have to look into it.
Fen: Donna wanted to suggest that we get a condo with hot tub.
Want to get an early start on this.
Paul: It’d be better if we had more people here. We need a list of all options to be discussed. Need to include what we “tried” to do last year and what was suggested.
Jenny: We need a timeline
Maria: We need a committee the can report back at the retreat.
Adam: The money people need to sit down and deal with it.
Jenny: OK we’ll get a committee who wants to be on the committee /join Adam’s committee? Maxim, Song, Paul, Jeff, Alex, Dirk, Jenny.
Jenny: Great, I will send out an email.
11. New business:
1. (Paul) Alex has scheduled a meeting tomorrow with Gusepe from the GCC pub and everyone is welcome to attend. Its tomorrow at 2pm. Meet 1:30 at GSC office to discuss what we will talk about.
Adam: What is the issue with the pub?
Paul: lack of customers. Meeting is to let them vent a bit about how little money grad students spend there and it’s a chance for us to offer helpful suggestions on how to improve the pub to get more people coming.
Alex: In case you haven’t heard, they just re-opened for lunch.
Paul: Part of the point of these discussions is to say to the pub that if you are willing to make it appealing to people then people will come.
Yana: Is the main problem that the service is bad?
Adam: that was the main problem but now it’s just that people won’t go back because the service was bad. It might not be true any more but that’s what people think.
Jenny: Is there other new business? Remember on the 27th weekly meetings start up again.