GSC Meeting Minutes
Wednesday August 3rd, 2011, 6pm
Voting Members present
Earth Sci: Marine Denolle
H&S: Kamil Dada
Business: Jesse Lane (proxy, Justin Brown)
Engineering: Anne-Laure Cuvilliez
At-Large: Addy Satija
At-Large: Manish Choudhary (proxy Abhik Lahiri present)
At-Large: Lida Teneva
At-Large: Ateeq Suria (proxy, Katie Kormanik)
Voting Members Not Present:
Engineering: Adeel Arif
At-Large: Sjoerd de Ridder
Others present: Alireza Maranda, Cornelius Vloeck, Midori Greenwood-Woodwin, Luhua Zhang, Ali Sharafer, Jihoon Jang, Yoon-Young Cho, Michael Cruz
5:45 Dinner (Thanks Ray!)
6:05 Introductions (Addy/Marine)
6:10 UNAFF 2011
Jasmina Boijic: UNAFF.org is the website. Films for film festival selected from over 70 countries. The Film festival was established 14 years ago. This year there are 4 places where the on-campus festival will be held in different venues on campus. In the past the GSC has funded the event. The funds from GSC go towards publicity done by SSE.
Addy: This should be a static byline in the coming year budgets. Amount requested is $2000.
Lida: Provost Etchmendy has funded us for Thanksgiving! Whippee!
6:23 GSC’s role in NGSO
Marine: Sept 18th, morning toast, kick off, all voting members need to attend needed. Sept 21st, Mock meeting, be there!
6:24 International Students Update
Lida: International Student activities meeting with John Pearson’s office soon.
6:32 Funding (Anne-Laure)
- Scandinavians at Stanford
$4230 requested for a total of 6 events with 100 grad students (roughly) and recommended in full. Passes by consensus.
- Bengalis at Stanford
30 people for independence day event next week. $80 requested, and recommended. Passes by consensus.
- The Science bus
Science lessons, Field trips, and food for recruitment events/volunteers. This is a community service group, soft caps are relaxed. Requesting $6000 and recommended by FC. Passes by consensus
- Persian Student Association
1. Summer Dinner, Old Union, 190 grad student, $1340 requested
2. Fall Welcome Dinner, Havana Rm,180 grad students, 1500$ requested
3. Fall/Winter Event Snacks, 100 grad students, $800 requested
4. Day of Love Dinner, 160 grad students, $1160 requested
5. Persian New Year, 160 grad students, $1200 requested
All events recommended by F.C. Passes by consensus
Bechtel and other funds subsidize the rest of the PSA events.
- Stanford German Student Association
1. Live Band event,
2. Oktoberfest, which attracts the entire campus
3. Spring Welcome Back Mixer
4. Social Event next week
Totals $4272.50 recommended, passes by consensus. An additional request for 80$ passes by consensus. This is for a social event later in the year. Note, the additional 80 dollars was voted on separately due to the creation of two applications in mygroups.
- Korean Student Association at Stanford
1. Welcome Event, 350 grad attendees, requested $2000
2. Korean New Year Dineer, 400 grad attendees, requested $2500
3. End of the Year Party, 300-400 grad attendees, $1500 requested
All $6000 recommended by FC. Passes by consensus
6:54 GSC internal (Marine)
Marine: Need students in engineering to speak at CS orientation. Engineering reps will take care of this.
6:55 New Business
1. French pre-graduate Degrees.
There was indeed a miscommunication but all circumstances are being figured out and this shouldn’t happen again. Faculty is preventing this from happening ever again.
Anne-Laure: Concerned that this won’t happen because it’s a long term problem.
2. Addy: Office is getting re-keyed since we’ve lost a key.
7:09 Meeting Adjourned