GSC Meeting AGENDA
6pm Wednesday March 14th 2012, GCC Nairobi Room
Voting members in Attendance
Earth Sciences: Marine Denolle
Engineering: Anne-Laure Cuvilliez
Engineering: Adeel Arif
H&S Humanities: Adrienne Johnson
H&S Social Sciences: Kamil Dada
H&S Natural Sciences: Unfilled
At-large: Lida Teneva
At-large: Addy Satija
At-large: Ateeq Suria
At-large: Manish Choudhary
At-large: Sjoerd de Ridder
Voting members not present:
Law: Daniel Rojas
Others in attendance: Justin Brown, Hrishi Goel, Briana pang, Michael Cruz, Stewart MacGregor-Dennis
5:45 Dinner (Thanks Ray’s!)
6:16 Welcome! (Addy/Marine)
– Announcements-last meeting of the quarter
– approve minutes (Justin). 1 change. Correct the spelling of MacGregor.
6:10 Funding (AnneLaure)
-Stanford Hindu student association
Cultural student group representing the interests of Hindu students and promoting their culture. Asking $50 for 5 meetings for food for 10 people for 2 recruitment meetings. Recommendation is two fund 2 events and 2 events only for a total of $100. There is an objection so it goes to a role call vote.
Stanford Zen society
Secular group to bring people together to meditate. Want to organize an event for this Saturday for a meditation retreat. Funding is for food for 25 people, request is for $200 for food. Recommendation is for the total $200.
6:24 Spring Events
Rains is doing a block party is May 18 and field day is Sunday, April 29. Block Party starts in the early evening to the late evening with bands. Rains will eventually be asking the GSC for funds for both. If the GSC wants to influence the way the one of the events go, GSC is responsible.
1. If we join with the CA events, we’re responsible for manpower.
2. If we want to serve alcohol, the event would have to officially be independent of the CA event according to SAL rules.
3. If the GSC doesn’t want to do the manpower, we should dish out our funds to handle the manpower- which we have funds to do so.
4. SAL won’t allow to parties consecutively at the same location.
5. We can get around the SAL rule of party location by getting out measuring tape and making sure the distance between the GSC contributions of alcohol is the required amount of feet from the CA event, patrons won’t know the difference.
6. Having an event the same day as the CA event won’t be a huge event, which means we need to spend more money to have another party.
7. If we have another party we need to hire more manpower, but we have the money to do so, so we….should.
Consensus is that all aforementioned problems have solutions. The GSC will support the CAs however they can financially and logistically, and throw another event of their own by hiring manpower for cooking, serving and cleanup.
6:47 Stanford Alumni Mentoring (Ateeq)
The program is trying to reach out to PhD students aside from the undergrads and masters students who have had an overwhelmingly positive experience. The program is among a few departments but it is seeking to expand. They want money for a recruitment breakfast Wed, May 9. They also need help for publicity. Consensus is to get a budget for the breakfast, and for the program to hit up the GLO for the grad-announce publicity.
6:58 Vote on Spring event: Field day (April 29th) or Block Party (May 18th). The bill was sent to the gsc members list.
Grad students should be able to buy more than one ticket for someone holding a Stanford courtesy ID (student spouses etc.).
Bill passes 7-1-2.
1. Bill to Place an Advisory Question on the Graduate Ballot: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10rW4JsQ9bKshj-6yAE9u7KVZqOXCekg2iNCN52kCsbM/edit
The Bill will be amended as follows:
“Statement: Please express your opinion about the following: I have a healthy advisor-advisee relationship, and I feel well-mentored, encouraged, motivated and intellectually supported by my primary academic and/or research advisor.
-Agree Some of the Time
-Disagree Some of the Time
-Not Applicable (e.g. I don’t have an advisor)