GSC Meeting Agenda
7pm Wednesday July 10th 2012, GCC Nairobi Room
Krystal St. Julien for Michael Shaw
Cathy Jan for Adrienne Johnson
Randi Walters for Sjoerd de Ridder
Rachana Gogate for Puja Devarakonda
John Dodini for Ernestine Fu
Wendy Ni for Anne-Laure Cuvilliez
6:45 Dinner (Ray’s!)
7:00 Welcome! (David)
- Approval of agenda
- Approve minutes: No objections, minutes are approved
7:05 Advocacy Liaison Updates
- Ateeq- he emailed his contact and Meyer library and didn’t get a response. He will update everyone at the next meeting.
7:10 Website updates (Saad + Xi) – Neither Saad nor Xi was in attendance
7:20 Financial updates (Nipun)
- Nipun – he is done with most claims for 11-12 as the new fiscal year began July 1st. All the GSC has left pending is the GSPB’s final reimbursement transfer and the reimbursement for the new GSC equipment that was recently purchased.
7:30 Creation of new GSC email addresses (Wendy)
- Wendy – Now that we have liasons, it would be nice to have a constant email address for each of the liason positions, like firstname.lastname@example.org or something.
- David – would it be an alias, or would it be a legit email address?
- Wendy – I don’t know, I think it would be an alias
- Nipun – Xi has actually already set these up for us, it is an alias that will go to your email address. You cannot reply from that email address.
- Hrishi – funding committee has a non-alias email, right?
- Krystal – the funding committee uses a gmail account, as does the GSC calendar.
- Wendy – could we set up two accounts: one set of accounts that are aliases, and one set of accounts that are real and that also receives all of the alias messages so that everything is all saved
- Andrew – for continuity, you can have all of the aliases sent to one central archive location. That way everything would be saved in one place.
- David – does anyone think this is a bad idea?
[No one says anything: the consensus is that we are in agreement.]
7:40 NGSO Events and Planning (Cathy)
- Cathy – the GSC brunch has been the first one to kick off NGSO for the past 3 years, and it was apparently pretty good in the past, but recently it’s gone downhill. You can’t order food from outside of Ray’s, and you can’t get alcohol from outside either. If the GSC is not willing to do a good job with their events this NGSO week, it is off the agenda. Not sure what happened with the breakfast order last year: $6000 was budgeted both last year and the year before for brunch and the informational mock meeting. It seems like it worked two years ago, but not last year?
- Nipun – this year the GSC budget for NGSO is only $2000
- Cathy – from Anne [Boswell: Dean in the Grad Life Office] it sounded like there was only $700 worth of food, so the mimosas must have been ridiculously expensive.
- Nipun – I went to this last year and it seemed fine.
- Cathy – apparently the organization was a disaster, they almost cancelled it that morning, and the dinner WAS canceled that Sunday and all the brochures had already been printed with the dinner listed.
- Hrishi – what do you think would be a good option for the GSC this year?
- Cathy – I don’t know why this wasn’t doable because you can order a $7 per person breakfast from CoHo. Maybe we can move it back to 1pm? We can get more CA help later in the day. The CAs will be unavailable in the morning.
- Nipun – We only budgeted $2000, but we have a pool of $30,000 for discretionary funding.
- David – Other disadvantages to moving it later? What if we make it into a lunch?
- Nipun – We could have food and the GSC can give out some swag
- Wendy – I was at the brunch 2 years ago, and like Ateeq said, the line was about 40 minutes long. If we have a lunch, the turnaround time will be even worse.
- David – Did people sit down? [specifically in question to Wendy] For ours, people were just standing [Nipun agrees], when do we need to make a decision?
- Cathy – I don’t think specifics are a big deal, you just need to decide NOW if you WILL do it, and if you will do the dinner.
- Nipun – what is the point of the mock meeting dinner?
- Krystal – you basically just promote the operations of the GSC. You tell people what a normal meeting is like, and then you go through a couple of mock scenarios that the GSC would typically encounter.
- Cathy – there is not much on the calendar, we just need to decide.
- Nipun – Cathy, can you come up with a plan: like how much it would cost for us and all that?
- Cathy – yes, I can do that, but you have to know that this is as a GSC member, not as an NGSO coordinator.
- Hrishi – we should give her the budget of $6000 like was there for the past 2 years.
- Eduardo – let’s just do one event and make it a lunch.
- Cathy – there was $6000 in the past for 2 events. That should still work for 2 events.
- Eduardo – so it was cancelled for a reason that had nothing to do with the mock meeting being a bad event or anything? So why shouldn’t we do it?
Cathy – the dinner shouldn’t require extra work. The brunch will require coordination, and the CAs can help later in the day with that one.
[No decision was made about what events will occur. Cathy will do some research as far as cost.]
7:50 Equipment Purchase Update (David)
- David – half of all of the stuff arrived this week. All of the lightweight tables were 70lbs, so there’s that, but everythings coming in without any problems. [The list of ordered equipment is at the end of these minutes.]
- David – who wanted to help with equipment policy?
[Eduardo, Hrishi, Krystal, and David raised hands/nodded]
- Hrishi – he’s working on the brick smoker/BBQ pit project. He’s has interest from Stanford Sustainability and Energy, and Land Use and Maintanence will provide a list of possible locations by the end of the Summer. EV will be a likely destination for the pit.
- Eduardo – when should we meet for equipment discussion?
- David – I’ve been busy, do you want to do it?
- Eduardo – I can send a doodle or something.
7:55 International Orientation Events (David)
- David – did any of you go to the International student orientation?
- Ateeq – outside of Bechtel in the garden, right?
- David – yeah, it was like bike safety or something.
- Ateeq – they are all different with a bunch of different groups pitching their stuff.
- David – they want to put together a bunch more talks and get GSC help. Would anyone be interested in being on a panel to discuss what is available on campus to do outside of class/lab on Sept 19th from 4-5pm? The second talk is a reception for new grad women.
- Wendy – is this Bechtel or WCC?
- Ateeq – I will do the first one.
- David – what’s the WCC?
- Wendy – Women’s Community Center
- David – I don’t know who is running it, but it’s the same day from 5-6pm. [Wendy nods, she is interested.]
8:00 New Business (All)
Nipun – where are we in the Summer event planning?
Cathy – Adrienne has lots of cool ideas. Both she and Kunal want events that are different from those that we’ve always done. For the BBQ we’re in the process of getting approval for the registration. We were going to use the blurb from Grad Announce, but there are so many ideas that we want to hold back and wait until we get it sorted. We’re thinking maybe a caricature artist, sno cone machine, popcorn machine, or other stuff. There is a company where we can get a lot of those, like the sno cone machine, with an attendant for like $60.
David – what’s the budget?
Cathy – $6000. We were thinking some water-thing, but it would be hard to fill and empty and whatnot, but maybe water guns would work.
Eduardo – EV did a water balloon fight.
Cathy – it was too cold for that, but yeah. We will try hard to push for family attendance because usually the 4th is attended by children. We got 2 kegs, registered for security, and Adrienne is looking into a live DJ, though we might not go for the DJ. Activities for children will be simple: ducks with x’s on the bottom get lollipops, hopscotch… We’re also thinking about the menu. We were under budget last year by $1500, so we were thinking nicer food this time. We’re aiming for 800 food items.
Nipun – the budget was $6000 last year, it’s the same this year.
Cathy – I will send a volunteer sheet out soon, so please sign up!
David – do you need us to do anything else to help set up?
David – we also have tables that don’t need to be rented!
Cathy – Hacienda Commons has tables that we can use. For people who are busy that day, we will need help ahead of time: like 3 cars for a Costco run.
Nipun – but there’s no email yet, right?
Cathy – we are interested in putting an email out now and then just updating it with better stuff in the future, but it’s not going to be so easy to bug Lyman, for example, to keep updating the email with our changes rather than running the same email that we originally give them.
David – if we are likely to get certain things, like caricature artist, maybe we should just go ahead and put together an exciting email.
Cathy – yeah, plus if the caricature artist and other things are more expensive, we can just go back to less fancy food.
Nipun – how many people usually attend?
Cathy – not sure, we thought 600 last year, and we did NOT get that many, but also Rain’s block party only got ~200 last year, which was unexpected.
Wendy – you could do a raffle to figure out the exact number of attendees.
Krystal – usually you can tell the number by the amount of food eaten.
David – I like the idea of the raffle because then we can get absolute counts.
Alex – but what’s the point? Just to know the amount of food to get for future events, right? If that’s the case, why do we need absolute numbers of people?
Cathy – one question would be, should we even run this event in the future? Like if we spend $6000 and only 100 people show up, should we event do that event? Also, we need to figure out how to advertise to families, like we would have to give them strict instructions as to when to send out an email, whereas with the other CAs, there is a newsletter for the whole neighborhood. I’m uncertain about whether or not “families” has a newsletter.
Hrishi – let’s just talk to them first and see what they can do. Maybe they have a newsletter.
Cathy – if anyone else has ideas for the event, please let me know.
Alex – a couple of times during the meeting things have been put off until there are more non-proxies. Do you actually know that you’re getting more members soon?
Nipun – there are only two more meetings left in the Summer.
David – was it just email addresses we were talking about?
Cathy – NGSO…
David – that’s a good point.
Hrishi – we can start discussing these things over email, and that way people can get their information and ideas in to their proxies if they send a proxy next meeting.
8:05 Close official meeting
Newly Ordered GSC Equipment:
Podium – $180 x 1 = $180
Tripod – $21 x 1 = $21
Tables – $68 x 4 = $272
Dollies – $85 x 2 = $170
Extension Cords – $27 x 3 = $81
Extension cord wheels – $6 x 3 = $18
Trash Cans – $37 x 2 = $74
Lapel Microphone – $134 x 1 = $134
Microphone and Cords – $20 x 4 = $80
Power Strips – $8 x 2 = $16
Speakers – $249 x 2 = $498
Speaker Stands – $89 x 2 = $178
Extra Speaker and Microphone Cables – $50 x 1 = $50
Mixing Board – $160 x 1 = $160
Headphone-to-Audio Cords – $10 x 2 = $20
Wireless Microphones – $116 x 1 = $116
Microphone Stands – $13 x 2 = $26
Microphone Clips – $2 x 2 = $4
Jockey Box – $470 x 1 = $470
Video Camera – $163 x 2 = $326
PC to TV converter [no price listed in the document copied to this location]