Stanford Concert Network
Indie band, expected 200 people. Would ask for 5k. Hoping at least 30 grad students would go. Ashveer says we’ve never heard of this band. Adrienne says that’s a lot of money for 30 students. Trevor says maybe come back next week with a more detailed description + lower sum.
ETH Zurich Folks
14 ppl, student project to look at use of tech we employ in learning. Meeting diff ppl in a few days. Reason why came to GSC is because has equivalent in ETH, look at diff ways we represent student pop at Stanford. Want to sit down with us later.
Stanford Alpine Proj
-Organizing geology events for community. Hosting chili cookoff. Requested $450 for 100 attendees. Recommendation $400 food $50 prog, tickets for event cost $6 each. Advertising with posters, have also used other methods like Rains events list. Unanimously passes.
Stanford Brewing club:
-$450 for beer tasting. Event is capped based on size of room so everyone can taste most of the beers. Hoping to accommodate 60-80 ppl. Currently paid members is 28, mailing list at 200. How is it capped? Someone will check IDs at the door to count attendees, first come first serve. Recommendation is $320 snack cap, $30 prog, total $350. Vote on $350: unanimously passes. Wendy says situation falls within snacks and alcohol. Vote on extra $80, passes unanimously.
-Welcome BBQ sunday, requesting $425. Recommendation $425. Advertises through Bechtel. Ashveer says reach out to Europe center. Vote on $425, passes unanimously.
ASHA for Eduxation:
-$500 for Diwali event, expecting 1000-1500 ppl, still within caps of dinner. Voting on $500, passes unanimously.
Dutch @ Stanford:
-Traditional Dutch holiday celebration, about 50 ppl, trying to get all European ppl involved. Asking for $225, recommended. Ashveer asks about Europe center again. Voting $225, passes unanimously.
French student Assoc:
- 2 events: cheese and wine, in Havana room, and King’s cake event at Bechtel. Asking for $1080 in total for both events, recommended. Wine and cheese event includes dinner too. Ashveer asks about Europe center. They said tried to contact them last year and they didnt respond. Ashveer gives them his email. Voting for $1080, passes unanimously.
Thai student assoc:
-Stanford-Berkeley Thai soccer match. Requesting $1000 food and $150 equipment, which will come to GSC after the event is over. Ashveer says should let East Asian center know about event. Recommendation is for $1150. Passes unanimously.
-Autumn social event at Tresidder Oak lounge west. Expect 100 ppl. Provide snacks and drinks, $400, $50 prog. Venue costs $550. Total $1000. Recommended $1000 total. Not yet in touch with the east asian center. They said this is social so maybe not appropriate? Ashveer says they would love to have them. Adrienne says that they should try to get everyone who is interested in China to come. Voting $1000, passes unanimously.
-online store that sells sustainable products to students. Hoping to switch to diff website because SSE and ASSU wants reports every month. Will use Shopify which has PCI compliant and produces reports every month. Has a monthly fee of $79, and since Green store doesn’t want to use budget on this, asking from the GSC. In bill also has provision that Green Store receive $1500 for advertising for the next year. Think would also love to add composting materials to store. Ashveer says that if he were SIA and want to buy their products instead of solo cups, how much would it cost? Susie says cheap because they buy from Axe and Palm, 70 recycle cups is $4 something. Reallly good way to make products available to students in an easy way. Adrienne says is it available to departments? Susie says yes, as long as on-campus delivery location. Paul asks if UG contributed any? Existing money was given by the UGs. Bill will fund GS annually until we vote no on it. There are also regulatory hurdles but not relevant to us. ASSU says that Shopify is ok, platform is same as student store .Wendy says what if Shopify increases their cost in the future, then do we need a new bill? Susie says since bill is recurrent every year, will continue until we cancel it. Suspending the rules: 9 present, 8 for 1 against. Rules suspended. Vote on bill to fund Green Store, 8 for, 1 abstain. Rules reinstated.
Nom Com bills
-John: 4-5 students for judicial panel pool and IRB, second for voids on high profile committees. 3rd is amendment to bylaws about terms of nom com to calendar year. Voting for NC-F-2013-1 and NC-F-2013-2 and NC-F-2013-3: unanimously passes.
Hunter is here, came a few weeks ago too. Right now working with execs, will need help submitting stuff to grad community. Voting for EC-F-2013-1: unanimously passes.
Publicity Rules for GSC Funded Events
Should we make real rules before they come, such as for them to say which places we have reached out to. Recommendations for where to advertise in, for different ethnic groups, or departmental groups? Wendy says good idea, but reinforcement hard. Already looking for ecvents on calendar is hard. Maybe a way to automate it? Ashveer says can play hide and go seek on GSC calendar in the meeting. Adrienne says in spirit of publicizing, cannot have acronyms on calendar. Trevor says maybe require tags (like “free food!”) on GCal. Wendy says when someone adds GSCstanford as a guest on the google calendar, we can’t directly edit stuff on the calendar. Ashveer says he will make some guidelines and send it out to us. Adrienne and Wendy says should be a recommendation only, since there are groups without a clear group to publicize to. Susie says we can threaten them with not funding them. Adrienne says we should not approve someone in the next 2 weeks.
Adrienne will do it if Bryce doesnt want to.
-Dinner-esque retreat. Adrienne says maybe Malibu Grand Prix next few weeks (bumper cars and mini golf and pizza arcade games bowling etc). Wendy says theres a great online scheduling thing called “when2meet”. Adrienne says it’s closed. =( Will figure out something else. Maybe SSF?
Advocacy or Proj Ideas
-Defense class: Wendy says shoulnt have closed signup since in the end only 26 ppl came. Couple ppl asked if we could do another one. Kenpo time members were volunteering their time. Wendy says havent approached yet to ask about the second workshop, and not sure what the turnoiut would be if next time since this rime not that many ppl showed up. Went to most recent meeting of intl student group leaders at Bechtel, asked about what CAPS could do more for students. Also met with Ira and Ron, now have predoc at CAPS who can help with outreach at CAPS. Can devote more tiime than the actual prof staff. Got updated on support resources website, gave advice, being pitched down the line to Greg Boardman. Still working with Vaden to figure out diff ways they can do outreach to intl students. LGBT peer counseling being scrapped because of funding.
-Sustainability: pushing project with water bottle refilling station. Lot of energy around ccomposting right now. Want every CA to have a composting workshop at events. In general, going very well. Need GSC to give them a letter that says that we as the grad students want an introduction sheet about composting in welcome packet for grad students. Wendy says that she’s heard that a lot of ppl not familiar with recycling as part of everyday life, maybe need to educate ppl more, likes leaflet idea.
- Johnny good with Thanksgiving dinner.
- Diversity Advocacy committee met last week, chose diff VSOs that are diversity focused. Want mixer next week to raise awareness of what DAC is and what they should accomplish. Need 3-4 more ppl on it.