GSC Member Attendance
Chinese Women’s Collective
-Welcoming dinner next week, annual event. Aims to let more Chinese students know about their association and what they are going to do during this year, social networking, etc. Expect about 60 students, applying for funding about $480 food snacks and drinks. Recommended is actually dinner, Recommended full $480 amount (way below cap). Advertising to own mailing list, collaborate with ACSSS to advertise event, other relevant Chinese centers. Ashveer suggests Center for East Asian Studies on campus to advertise, and GSC calendar. Wendy says still not on calendar yet. Conditioned on having it on GSC calendar for tomorrow. Vote, unanimously passed.
Shaking the Foundations
-Progressive lawyering conference, was here 2 weeks ago. How Law intersects with social aspects. Marketing to diff grad students in schools. Before had requested up to $6000, but read funding guidelines incorrectly so only applied for food. Now back to get back to the cap. Request $3250 because combined with previous funding would reach cap. Has speakers coming in (honoraria). Law school is matching funds whatever GSC provides. $1659.10 for equipment rental. Labor (table, chairs), keynote address for about 200 ppl. She lists off a lot of prices for equipment, which is too fast to be taken down in minutes. Trevor says in the future can be a separate funding line on the budget. Recommended $3250 by FC. Passes unanimously.
GSB Rugby Club
In 2 weeks, hosting a tournament with teams coming in from all over the place. Over 2 days, one day off site and one day on site. All day event. Have entrace fees that come to about $8000. Requested funding because want to have spectator food and drinks. Putting on BBQ and drinks from 8:30-6pm. Serving food throughout. Budgeted for 350 ppl to turn up, but probably an underestimation. Also requested money from the GSB. $2900 for food, $175 for programming. On the calendar already. Recommended $2900 for food, $175 for programming, total of $3075. Ashveer asks about other non-top-elite schools, whether they looked for those? Part of it is that rugby is only common at these schools mentioned, not others. Not charging for food and drinks. Trevor says if it is possible to outreach GSC to GSB, need a Business rep right now. They said that’s fine. Voting 15-1-0, passes.
Indian music group on campus, bring artists from India to come perform for students for free on campus. Hosting a campus concert, famous guitar concert. Request $600 for honoraria, being matched by ASSU, for total from $1200 for honoraria. Recommendation was $600 that was requested. Wendy said it is still not on the calendar. Voting unanimously passes.
Campus construction update:
Joseph Kearney. Work for land buildings and real estate group. New Stanford Energy System Innovation Project on campus. Campus has embarked on half billion project to convert energy system from co-gen to heat recovery system. Via Ortega and Campus drive, will be shut down on April 1 2015, building new plant out by Stanford golf field. Converting campus from steam to hot water. Driver is that existing plant is nearing its lifetime, looking at greenhouse gas reductions and water savings. The campus does simultaneous heating and cooling every day. Have 70% overlap between heating and cooling. Consultants said that heat recovery is a really good option for energy. They are going to shut down the co-gen plant, stop generating electricity on campus, and buy electricity from the grid, and do heat recovery on campus. Taking the waste heat that comes back from the chill water system, draw heat out, inject heat into the hot water system, circulate around campus. New central energy camp, electrical substation, 20 miles of new distribution piping throughout campus. Converting 160 buildings on campus from steam to hot water. BJ colleague is a new project for the plant, Board of Trustees gave final approval last week, have to be up and running by April 2015. Have an office of sustainability and engineering management, website: sustainable.stanford.edu, look at the information about SESI there. Ongoing construction on campus: most of the utility work ongoing is the work installing the pipes. Out of 20 miles of pipes, have 14 in the ground, 11 are put in service, about 6-7 to go until they’re done. Anticipating the construction to be done in next Oct. Nov. Bulk of work was in the core campus area, now pushing out to the perimeters. Next year will be primarily out in Oak and Welsh roads, cow clusters? Med school areas. Core work on campus has been complete. Building conversion work is ramping up right now. About 100 buildings to go before next April. Maxed out in construction planning right now, incredible amount of work that’s ongoing and what they’re pushing to happen. After SESI winds down, construction will still be very consistent. Adam talks about building conversions. Also in the new hospital complex, going to be installed there. Quick factoids: usually there’s a balance between sustainability and dollars. With SESI, both sides of the table are happy, viable long-term, also reduces greenhouse and water usage. Immediately drop greenhouse emissions by 50% by day one of starting, can continue with purchasing more green electricity, potable water usage drops 20%. Case 1 project for SESI feasibiltiy was done on athletic campus. Since then, 18 other buildings have been converted, with about 120 to go. Work inside the mechanical rooms, replacing all existing steam equipment with heating hot water and domestic hot water equipment to run off the utility water. With some buildings easy, some difficult. Some buildings, have to demo out all the steam, so no heat or hot water for 6 weeks, before new stuff it is installed. Working on Munger right now (and Mirrelees, but that’s undergrad). Can’t take hot water out of Munger for 6 weeks, so have temporary reservoir to use before the new system is installed. Bryce asks what extra work is needed in the regional level in order to support this change? Stanford is now direct purchaser of the grid, can purchase hydro power from Washington, can buy nuclear, etc. Portfolio where they can buy power is pretty wide, will expand grid, building a little redundancy that’s currently not there. Adrienne asks about “overlap” in heating and cooling? They said that, server rooms are air conditioned like crazy, coldest air drives the building for the server room, but same air going to other rooms, and reheat coils heat up the air again to warm the air so that the other rooms stay at a comfortable temperature while the server room is being cooled. That overlap is where the energy efficiency will be gained. Eduardo says the new system that is used heat that is lost? They said yes, right now when water returns to the cogen building, it is just evaporated, The payback is about 30 years, but overall they looked at 15 options of what to do, and this one was the best options because of all the requirements needed. Petr asks about the lifetime of the project. They said about 50 years. Bryce says that, construction on campus is maxed out? They said it’s mostly about construction fatigue. Bryce asks what the main driver for all the construction projects are? For new buildings? They said it’s programs, med school, engineering, completion of bioe and cheme buildings. Med school has so many new buildings in plans right now. Trevor asks about grad life: new power plant is next to residences right now, says there are complaints about the construction taking place at weird times. They said yes and no, plant needs continuous concrete pours, during peak hours, concrete pour runs all night long. Had to do it at all hours, concrete trucks had to continuously run, so they have to go off-hours to avoid traffic (from concrete plant to the pour). Trevor says need better outreach. They said yes, have done good job with undergrads, but not grads, especially residences that are next to the projects. Have a listserv for issuing updates, asks if we have a listserv that the GSC can send to them so that they can use. Chairs say that CA’s maybe good.
PR Revamp: Saad
Saad met with Trevor a couple of weeks ago, talking about revamping GSC newsletter. Last year they had PR reps, this year they had project for updating GSC website, one thing that’s still old fashioned is the GSC newsletter. Text-based email. Now proposal is that it would be good idea to revamp into html based newsletter? Divided into different sections (academic, social?) with internal links? Second option is that since now has good website, come up with new ideas. Stephen says that the SSE already does a lot of similar things. Can share membership with us, could look at statistics like which links are the most clicked, etc. Happy to help out with. Saad says that for our events on Google Calendar, need to paste stuff in. Stephen says that need to figure out how to do html events by themselves. Saad says could be a python script or something. Easier and can continue past this year. More ideas can go to Saad. Stephen says that one last usage of __ is that can see how many people opened the email. Saad asks if there is need to reinstate PR coordinator again? Trevor says maybe yes, right now between him Bryce and Xi, responsibilities include keeping website up to date, etc. Saad’s main goal is to find someone else to write this script. Petr’s questions: what are the PR issues for the GSC? How would collecting more data actually help us? FOr example if we find out that only 2% graduate students open the email, how does that help us? Saad says that PR issue is converting the email to easier to read format. Trevor says the answer to the second question is more about how to improve what we are doing? Figure out if we need to use grad wide list? Petr says may be good idea to craft PR strategy for the GSC. Saad says we’ve tried FB and blogging on website, but difficult. Main method is the mailing list that goes out weekly. Adrienne says that party fliers did reach a lot of people on FB, so does want to keep attention on that. Bryce says that events with free beer always get people. Adrienne says that FB statistics can see how many people clicked on it, etc. Adam asked about talking with Xi about writing a script, going from google calendar to a standardized format? Saad says worked with Xi last year too, doesn’t know if he updated Python skills yet, right now the script is in Python. Integrating APIs wasn’t an option last year. Voting to reinstate Saad as PR coordinator, passes unanimously!
Selecting new CEO of SSE this quarter and next quarter. Having gone through thsi process twice now, Stephen says current bylaws doesn’t really make sense. The Financial Selection committee is never specified in the bylaws. Financial Manager proposed these bylaw changes. Try to make a consistent process that makes sense, fits timelines, etc. Paul has questions: why did they create this presumption against FM serving one term? Stephen says probably because so that they can ensure students would continually change over to create continuity. Says changes make sense. Benefits significantly outweigh the detriment of the FM to change every year. Linguistic suggestions. Major points: under the “standard selection process if FM does not reapply”, why not just have the committee rank the candidates, then if the first candidate is rejected, go to the second? Stephen says that there’s a first choice candidate and no other options generally, given the FMSC responsibility to select those people also offers them the possibility of choosing the candidates if they are strong, but can also look at other people. They can define that process when they see what is going on is a good move, instead of restricting them to a very specific process. On the whole, giving them leeway to define selection process is right move. Stephen says that if it is not practical to go to a ful interview process, maybe interview the old candidates? Paul says: in situation where FM reapplies for the position, about the report that the FM has to prepare, these bylaw provisions doesn’t mention that the GSC/ASSU can look at the report. Is this appropriate? Stephen says it is reasonable for this to be a thing, but if doesn’t trust FMSC to make a good decision, then maybe should discuss FMSC more than the specific candidate. Stephen says can add something into the bill to make the report public, but perhaps has private information. Paul says that amendments mention that the financial manager chooses the assistant financial manager, and there’s associate financial manages when they start. Stephen says that the associate FM doesn’t really get paid, out of the scope of this bill; Assistant FM is at the FM’s discretion, FM has to spend money on them. FM has very restricted funds, must find the budget for that. can have Assistant FM’s, or pay them 500 bucks, whatever the FM thinks is a reasonable number. Doesn’t know what the impact will be, but FM’s role to figure that out. We’re voting on thsi next week.
Stephen sent out email about how they want GSC input to the new redesign of the office. Want to redesign student union space, if we are interested, the substantive work is now looking at office space and looking at what we want to do with it, looking at what we want and need. GSC can appoint 0-2 members to look at this office. Stephen says can probably get the GSC some office space at the SSE. Prrobably need to share office space with current users. One idea is to provide student office space to student groups. Can discuss how the ASSU fits into the union space. Paul says he would be interested in helping. Bryce says he would be too. Voting on having Paul and Bryce be on the working group for the ASSU office space. Passes unanimously.
Self Defense Class
Next Wednesday at 7pm-8:30pm at Burnham, requesting $160 to buy snacks for 40 people. Right now has 24 people that signed up, considering that it’s only been advertised in 4 venues. Will further promote by sending to CAs, also want different school reps to forward to their members. If more than 50 people sign up, then will probably have to shut it down because not able to accommodate so many people. Voting on $160 from the programming discretionary account, had issues booking rooms because there were no rooms at Arrillaga. Adrienne says maybe can give gifts if there is funding. Ashveer says read email, doesn’t have the date in the body of the email, might be nice to have in the rest of the emails. Voting for $160 passes unanimously.
Paul says it is very hot topic. Met with Jessica Dragonetti, Miles Seiver, Koren Bakkgard, Ben Holston, etc. Bill intended to improve BJA process. Bill overrules what the BJA did during the spring quarter. Want transparency and openness, gives student a voice into administration. BJA had closed door meetings, not keeping detailed minutes about deliberations on these bills, other actions they took. Paul emailed Koren and asked about why minutes not being posted since May 2012? Particularly grave given the importance attached to judicial affairs at Stanford. Lists off several cases where the BJA minutes are too short. Paul took out the language in the bill that criticizes the OCS and BJA. Susie asks what did Koren and Jessica say when Paul met with them? BJA has 4 different sub committees that draft these amendments. They meet in secret, no minutes at all. On BJA, 6 students, 6 faculty, 3 admin. Nominating Ashveer, and Paul to be involved on this Student Justice Project.
Trevor emailed Provost and got funding. Funding coming out of discretionary first and then reimburse from Provost. Adam can help issue a check. Need to get volunteers. Responsibilities are mostly to get students in. Alphabetically had students in, had 8 volunteers in total. Adrienne wants a sample run of turkey into the GSC meeting before.
-Next week having joint meeting with undergrads on Wednesday at Cypress Room at 6pm-7pm. Provost will be there too. Afterward can have a brief meeting.
-DAC: mixer in November, with Chicanos GradQ BGSA LEGOs BioAIMS WEE
-Bryce: electric charging stations in pipeline, currently 6 on campus, going up to 50+, in the works, trying to figure out where to locate them. Susie asks if they are talking to P&TS only, or also sustainability people.
-Ashveer and Susie: getting water bottle refilling stations. Meeting with sustainability peoplen ext next week. Also maybe want to get more composting stations. But there’s issues of getting compost bins from bookstore, paying for it, etc.