Wendy asks David to change minutes from Leigh Ann to Leigh stacy. Other than that, passes unanimously.
Hindu student Assoc
Ramnavami, this Sunday in Havana from 8-10, dinner for 200 people. Requesting $2500, all for food, all recommended. Voting, passes unanimously.
$615 for beer, joint event with Belgica, dinner May 9th at 6:30. Recommendation is for $615 alcohol. Capping it at 70 attendees, advertising to individual listservs first, reserving 20% of free tickets (50 available for VSO, then rest to remainder to grad student population). RSVP link will need to be up by end of the week. Voting, passes unanimously.
Joint event with Brewing Club again: taking care of food, EANABs: stew, fries, EANABS. Recommendation is $325 for food, $35 for programming (event services), so total is $360. Voting, passes unanimously.
French Students Assoc
2 events: first is breakfast with a banker who’s going to present Sustainable Banking on April 30th, second is for meeting with a french business school, Happy hour with everybody, on the 21st. Recommendation is for $368, which is $48 for food for first event, $320 for food for second event. Voting, passes unanimously.
Graduate Humanities and Social Sciences
Combined for 2 events, $820 for first event, the venue for the first event is booked, so they want to push the date back a week for the same event, Sam tells them it’s fine but needs to be on calendar. First event is a general mixer, alcohol and dinner, Mediterranean food, second is a research presentation by people on May 22. Chairs say that they need to add more descriptions to the events on the calendar. Wendy asks about the 2nd event, are the research they present going to be appealing to a broad range of students, or specialized? They say that the idea is to make research widely interesting. Event 1: $30 event services, $690 food, $100 alcohol. Event 2: $25 event services, $465 food, $70 alcohol, for total of $1380. Voting passes unanimously.
Romanian Student Assoc
Film Festival, screen films for about 2 days, have guests and a panel discussion and some presentations by guests. 2 guests are actresses from films, they’ve already asked for $1200 to pay for honorarium 2 weeks ago, now asking for another $500, $200 for food at reception at end of festival, $300 for copyright for one of the films they are showing. The recommendation is for $300 event services, $200 food, for total of $500. Bryce asks, event on calendar for both days are the same, is that right? They say yes. Voting, passes unanimously.
Asking for $360 for honorarium for a jazz band to play at event, 25th April, celebration of the end of WWII in italy. Voting, passes unanimously.
Request for 2 speakers in May, first on May 6th (David Silverman, president of American Atheists), majority is split honorarium between GSC and UGS. Second event is Professor Rothschild, Stanford professor, talk about Astrobiology, request is for room unlocking and janitorial fees. That one is May 27th. Recommendation for event 1: $500 honorarium, $126 for event services. Event 2, $78 event services. Total recommended is $704. Bryce and Trevor says that event is not yet on the calendar, they need to put it on there. Mike asks about the subject of the first talk. They say that the AA will talk about what their organization does. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Canadian Club
Screening a film, Canadian film by Atom Egoyan, will be held on April 29th in Bechtel. Forecasting 40 attendees, so far there’s been 70ish people showing up, $10 per person, asking for $400 for dinner for event. Recommendation is $400 for food. Voting, passes unanimously except for Durgesh who abstains.
Swiss Stanford students
Event on Swiss-US tax dispute, invited diplomat who negotiated tax dispute, who is professor at university ETH in Zurich. Combination of this dispute and how to negotiate such deals. Recommendation $600 food, $1000 honorarium. Voting, passes unanimously.
Environmental Humanities Project
Symposium on May 2nd, Points of connection between animal studies and environmental studies. Recommendation is $560 food. Voting, passes unanimously.
IV Graduate Christian Fellowship
Speaker event on May 5th, titled “The well lived life, an atheist philosopher and christian theologian discuss”, discussion event, students will have chance to participate and ask questions. They believe that about 350 grad students will attend. Speakers are professor Kenneth Taylor from stanford, Theologian N.T. Wright. Recommendation is $1624, split into $400 food, $1224 event services. Voting, passes unanimously.
Classics and Theater
Production with annual show. This year it’s a Roman comedy, adapted to setting of 1880s SF. In Toyon hall, May 1st- 3rd, 8pm. $1450 honorarium for an outside director, costume designer, choreographer, pianists, rest for event services (labor, renting stage, lighting, etc). Recommendation is $1450 honorarium, $3731.64 for event services, for total of $5181.64. Tickets are free for anyone with SUID. Voting, passes unanimously.
Institute for Operations Research
4 talks coming up, made by professors at Stanford, objective is to connect professors on what they do with students. They will give high level talk about what they work on and research, if students are interested then they can go and hear about the state of the art in what they are doing research in, maybe take their class next year. Asking for dinner, expecting 40 people per event, not only related to MS&E, expecting a lot of people to come, thinking of $400 food per event. Recommendation is for $1025 for their soft cap. Food is coming from pizza, Treehouse maybe. Adam asks how they are advertising, they are printing out posters and flyers, will put them everywhere around campus, Huang, libraries. Durgesh says he can help post to GSB mailing list. Vote on $1025 first, voting passes unanimously. Voting on additional $575, 1 in favor, 6 opposed, 3 abstaining, so it does not pass.
Stanford Biosciences Student Assoc
Transferring $600 from food to alcohol. Adam asks what was the original food costs, Wendy says it is important because it depends on their original request. For spring BBQ, where the food costs were $3600 food costs. Voting, passes unanimously except 1 abstention.
ASHA for Education
Transferring $110 leftover from food for one event to their welcome dinner to use, also for food. Voting, passes unanimously.
Scandinavians at Stanford
Requesting $250 food to alcohol transfer for spring BBQ, $200 from food to alcohol for Midsummer’s Day, total $450. Wendy asks when Midsummer’s request is, is it this fiscal year? Sam says it’s June 21st. Voting, passes with 2 abstentions, rest in favor.
Open GSC Positions
Positions available: chair (or co-chair, or deputy chair) has to be voting member; secretary; communications; parliamentarian; programmer; webmaster; tax coordinator; many others – come to meeting in 2 weeks to get a position and email email@example.com with questions!
One at large GSC rep (write in) still waiting to hear back from Hunter with contact information.
World Cinema Series
Involves 8 diff student assoc, including Venezuelan, Canadian, Russian, etc. Already started, running with fund from Bechtel. Initially thought turnout would be bad, already been 70-80 students, 3 movies shown already, 4th is tomorrow, there are 5 more movies. From the fund, they received $2800 for entire event, which is not enough to support 80 students for 8 movies (one from each VSO). Requesting additional funds, asking for $2000 for now. Wendy asks how they are being advertised. They said FB, they are advertising on each of the lists for each movies, and posting on big groups, and Bechtel as well. On tuesdays and thursdays. Bryce asks why canadians need to apply for separate funding from GSC, it’s because they didn’t get Bechtel funding while the rest did. Adam says we need to be more cautious with funding from discretionary for rest of year, since we did set a budget, plus we are currently negative in accounts, so we may need to pass bill to transfer money from reserve for this particular purpose. Money is being spent on food. $2000 is being split between the 5 groups remaining. Trevor drafts a bill to take $2000 from reserve to fund this. Trevor motions to suspend rules of order, Mike seconds, voting, all in favor except 2 abstentions and 1 opposed. Sam asks how much money is in reserve fund, $450,000. Voting on bill, 9 in favor, 1 opposed, 0 absentions, passes.
Kaia says it seems like real concerns were webmaster control (we use website a lot more than UGs), she’s talked to UGS about that, and they agree. The updated plan is to incorporate everything we are talking about, that there’s a central landing page, but each ASSU body has own webmaster and own editable abilities and requirements. The ASSU exec page is pretty dead right now. If we were to incorporate those changes, what are our thoughts? Also another point is that, the branding idea of bringing ASSU body together, but we said we’ve been trying to separate the branding, she wants to understand why. Bryce comments on separation, says that when you ask an average graduate student what the ASSU is, they say undergrads, and they don’t understand the “umbrella” of the ASSU. Some part of that is the dynamics of grad students vs UG. Kaia says that they’ve also noticed this problem, but they are trying to approach it through branding. Asks if we are more amenable to other option, separating ASSU from undergrad. Wendy says, to add to what Bryce is saying, she’s noticed it’s not just grad students, even some administrators think that ASSU = UGs. But then on the other side, some people think talking to ASSU execs means that the message got passed along to GSC. Adam says, ideally the reality is that GSC is part of ASSU, but not sure about marketing ASSU to graduate students, because they would probably be more confused if there’s one central site, since ASSU has never marketed to grad students. Important for us to have our own distinct brand. Trevor thinks ASSU branding needs to be improved but GSC branding should remain. Wendy says, she understands that at one time the ASSU was just the undergrads, before the GSC was formed. Kaia says she agrees with us, they were just thinking that one way that they were thinking about improving it was through website landing page, they would need to think about how to let GSC keep our branding while also using website landing page to give visual cue that ASSU is unified body. Trevor asks her for concrete steps in next weeks. She says, UG senate trying to recruit people to work on the website, exec is ready to go as well, so is SSE, people want to do this and recognize the current flaws. Bryce asks what is a realistic timeline for this to happen. Kaia says that brand of ASSU is just muddled, people don’t know what it is and associate it with the wrong things. Bryce says maybe he will put it on his agenda for meeting with the new execs. Trevor says, no reason why they can’t start moving forward in UG level, even if GSC does not have buy in yet. Susie agrees, says would be easy to incorporate different components together on landing page. Eduardo says it’s not so much website focus, but asks if current ASSU logo includes the branches of the ASSU? Maybe need the 3 different branches visually shown on the ASSU logo. Trevor says he agrees that the new logo is not good, willing to write letters to help support Kaia.
Bill to Sponsor Projector in Havana Room
Money is coming from buffer account, one time thing. Maintenance is being done by Stanford in the future. Voting, all in favor except one abstention.
Constitutional Council Case
Past Monday, meeting of Constitutional Council where they set timeline for case. Will take place on Wednesday April 30th, 9:30pm, locations TBA. Will start with 5 mins statement from each side (10 mins total), 10 mins of questioning for each side (20 mins total), 5 minutes rebuttals for each side (10 mins total), 5 minutes closing statements from each side (10 mins total), 70 mins total. 48 hrs before case, we need to submit a brief describing our case and giving our opinion on the cases that are filed against us. This needs to include evidence we want to submit. No cross-examination, anywitnesses will need to be submitted through writing. Will be pure oral argument. Amicus briefs can be submitted up to 48 hours before too, which is a brief any group can write to say that support / not support the case (“friend of the court”). Wendy says she understands these meetings are public, asks if this is publicized? Trevor says it will be publicized, and the amicus briefs will be as well. Only students can file amicus briefs, but anyone should be able to attend, but need to ask CC to clarify this point. Oral arguments will need 1 person, Trevor will nominate himself, but by next week’s meeting we need to decide who will represent GSC. Only students can represent in oral arguments. Recommends that all GSC be present.
$30k Challenge Schedule and Voting
Will use elections system for this as well, to verify if they are grad student, etc. Approval voting, from scale of 1-5, mathematically proven to give optimal result. Comments by Friday, chairs will make executive decision then, voting will take place 2 Mondays from now, probably be open for 48 hours to vote. Comments with regards to which projects which we think are the best use of the money. No restrictions on funds, should be long term projects. Wendy says we should evaluate outcome and decide on what to do next year.
VP for Grad Affairs is asking for person to help with website for mental health. Wendy is already on board with that, Nicole Williams emailed Wendy asking about it. They did a mental health and well being survey is 08, group came up with suggestions, now they are trying to implement it, now they have an advisory board which is keeping an eye on this. Some recommendations were better way to communicate resources on campus. Trying to get things done so website can launch before start of next academic year. Adam and Sam might be interested in helping out.
Bryce said got email from grad student who had family and missed fee waiver deadline. He would like to get a refund for fee waiver. He doesn’t use ASSU services. But he’s waived in the past.
VPGE meeting, trying to put proposal together for Go Pass, they are only looking into it, preliminary discussions indicate that the Provost is amenable to receiving a proposal for off-campus graduate students’ purchased discounted Go Passes. 3 years ago, they offered Go Passes for off-campus students, which were funded 3 different ways in the past. One was GSC subsidized, the other year was various university group. This is a 4th model where you’re purchasing Go Passes but it’s heavily discounted. If you’re part of the Commuter Club, maybe more subsidized there. VPGE asked them if they could allocate 1-2 people to work on this, Adam and David volunteer. Time scale would be coming September. Wendy asks, when they say “students may be able to purchase”, does it mean all can purchase? No. There’s 4000 off-campus grad students, maybe Stanford goes to Caltrain and gets 4000 passes, then maybe 50% of people will buy it, then they will sell 2000 and eat the rest of the cost, this is ONLY AN EXAMPLE. Second question, definition of “off-campus students”, if you live in 94305 zip code then you don’t count as off-campus, it’s same stipulation as the employee plan. Based on their listed “residential address”.
Wendy is working with a counseling intern from CAPS to design e-flyer campaign for raising mental health awareness, in particular among Intl students. Most likely will be finalized and approved by end of quarter, will pilot over summer, will combine with 2 other campaigns, one aimed at all grad students, other is improved orientation at the beginning of the year.
Wendy is in process of organizing grad student listening workshop, a workshop being offered by Bridge counseling to UG dorms for awhile, teaches people how to be more effective listener with goal of getting students to support each other. Planning to sit down and meet and get the contents of the workshop finalized in meeting next Monday or Tuesday, maybe run a pilot version of workshop in very first week of May. Any help would be appreciated. Right now she needs us to commit to 1 meeting. Eduardo says he will go next Monday or Tuesday, but not sure if it will be useful to have “grad-student oriented content” for listening, isn’t it transferable? Wendy says trying to incorporate graduate pressures into this workshop, such as financial worries, balancing family, intl student issues, etc.
Adam wants to publish a list of job functions for GSC and its responsibilities, helps recruit and is more transparent that way. Trevor says wants to add budget to website.
David says he would like to implement some kind of search / tagging function for minutes. Various GSC members have input on the idea, can follow up more with this in the future.
Wendy says 3-4 weeks ago, a student emailed, her situation was that she took an incomplete on 2 courses, and took a leave of absence, the time is still ticking on the incomplete. Bryce talking with Tom Black the registrar about this, extra extensions for extenuating circumstances (like medical leave).