Persians Student Assoc:
-Have event, July 19th, dinner party, for breaking fast during Ramadan, full dinner, expecting around 200 ppl, around 180 of them grad students. Going to be in Old Union common room 3rd floor, applied for $1300. Recommendation for $1300 food. Joint event with ISSU, Islamic student association, not a VSO so not joint event in terms of funding. Advertising on GSC calendar, issu advertising. Voting, passes unanimously.
Caltrain Go Pass Advertising
Trevor has been emailing Chris Golde, meeting with them next week. Not much happening on their end.
GSC Officer Shortage
Ateeq thinks we can use all ASSU mailing list, send out 3 items. GSC social coordinator, he’ll make the email draft for it. Will ask Xi to make a part on the website with the details. Chairs will send current email draft to ateeq for him to revise. Ateeq also thinks frost did poorly with ticket sales this year. Ateeq also wants to send out search for someone who sits on Frost board and reports to GSC. There’s also less grad student attendance this year than last year (only around 500 people, year before was around 900). Ateeq says he and Adrienne wants to be the retreat organizers. Chairs appoint them as retreat organizers.
What are we doing this year? Last year we did mock meeting and pizza party, both well attended. Maybe that Football 101 event? We can get swag as well this year. NGSO chooses the pizza party date as the distribution date for the red zone tshirts. Ateeq says someone needs to do the speech to the international students orientation this year because he doesn’t have time. Bryce is going to send the email from NGSO organizers to GSC list. Ateeq will send info about Football 101 to chairs. Chairs agree that mock meeting and pizza party should happen.
Bryce ordered 100 of them, Ashveer put it through. Will reevaluate what we want to do with them when they come in.
World Cup Game
Streaming online is a minute and a half late. Not sure how to hold it in Havana room when Rays will be showing it right next door a minute earlier than us. Arushi says maybe we can do it at Bechtel, cater food or drinks or soccer balls there for people. The world cup is on Sunday, chairs encourage us to go.
Wendy and Tresidder Union Fees
Director for TMS had made an offer for rates for $100-200 cheaper than the current rates for the various rooms in the Tresidder Union. Wendy emailed the graduate / joint general fees groups that have been affected by the fee rise, and asked for their opinions, and how this would impact their events. At the time, because that would affect the UGs as well, Wendy tried to get feedback from them, but they never responded. Wendy wants to settle this issue. There used to be a VSO rate of $80 that wasn’t official and wasn’t on the official documents, but had been giving to some groups but not others. Big jump in fees was a combo of them removing that rate and also rate increase in their base rate. James L say he thinks that the fee is per event. wendy also says that we should give VSOs more assistance in finding rooms for their events, thinkingabout putting something on the GSC website, knows that SAL has a list on their website about room costs, but not sure if it is reliable because they used to show that the Tresidder Union rooms are free. Petr says SAL is updating their websites in about a month, will tell them to make that happen. Two criterias, make information accurate, and organizing/prioritizing different rooms? Wendy says she just wants to trust the info that’s put up, and maybe there are other rooms on campus (like departmental rooms) that are available that should be put on that list. Maybe look on other websites and collate the information. Petr says he doesn’t think SAL can do that because it is a jurisdictional issue, they can suggest only rooms that are under the jurisdiction of the Registrar, etc. Wendy says we could just do a supplemental list to their list if we need to.
Meeting adjourned. Next meeting on 7/23 at 6pm in Nairobi Room on GSC.