Meetings over summer:
-Gabe will make calendar and show it next week so we are sure which dates the meetings will be.
GSC Bio Form:
-Gabe will send it out next week, we should fill it out. He will share it via gsc_internal. Gabe will also send an email requesting our email addresses because he doesn’t have it right now.
-Did Eddy talk to Arushi? He tried messaging her and Trevor, but neither of them have responded back so far.
- Their equipment rental costs are lower than expected, so they are transferring some money. Coming from equipment rental, transferring $590 event services, $1150 honoraria, $200 food. Wendy says there is an honorarium cap of $1000 per event. Kali says we have already given them like $1300 in honorarium. After the transfer they will have $2480 honorarium for 25 judges. A lot of discussion took place regarding modifying budgets in the past. Voting, passes unanimously.
Thai Student Assoc:
- Thai night, annual thai cultural event with food and show. Will be this Saturday 6:30-9:30pm, at the Club House, expecting around 250 to 300 people to come. Asking for $1910 for food. About half are graduate students. Recommending $1910 food for the event. Sam says that groups should feature the GSC logo on the flyer, and currently the GSC portion on the flyer is at the location is where the thumbtack is most likely to be put. Isa says they are charging for tickets, what is tickets funding? They say food is GSC, other costs such as event services are not being covered. Tickets are $10. Voting to fund $1910, passes unanimously.
Chinese Women Collective
- Hosting exhibition of the Chinese painting artworks of the student this Saturday, anticipate around 30-50 people at the event. Applying for $400 food and $25 for event services. Did not apply last year, this is the first time they are doing it. Recommendation is $400 food and $25 event services. Voting, passes unanimously. Second event: Makeup workshop, want to help the female students on campus do makeup before their graduation dinner, they will invite an instructor for their event. Applying for $100 honoraria for instructor, $15 event services, $420 for food. Recommending that amount. Isa says the event is not on the calendar. They expect 30-40 people at the makeup workshop. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Austria Club
-Hosting viewing of Eurovision contest, expect around 40 people, requesting $300 food and $20 event services. Recommendation $300 food and $20 event services. Voting, passes unanimously.
-Queer women mixer this Saturday, requesting alcohol and snacks money and event services. Recommendation is $60 food $180 alcohol and $15 event services. It’s being held at Studio 1 patio. Hope to have around 30 or so people attend. Voting on recommendation, passes unanimously.
Pakistanis at Stanford:
-May 23 event, a big kite festival. Requesting food and event services. Recommending $900 food and $250 event services. Expected attendance is probably 130-140 people. Will be doing it on Wilbur field, getting around 50 kites. They’ve checked it with the building managers and they are ok. Jingyi says kite could maybe fall onto the road and cause problems with cars and people, it has happened before. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Jazz Consortium:
-Band event Marcus Shelby orchestra (feat. Tiffany Austin), in a few weeks, expect around 100 people, asking for honorarium for the musicians. Recommendation is $650 honorarium. Students do not need tickets, general public need tickets. They have not requested money from the undergrad senate. Isa says that she thinks they should mention in the calendar that students do not need tickets to go, and the price of the admission as well. Voting, passes unanimously.
ASSU Speakers Bureau
-John Lancaster Finley (JLF) wants to find funding for the speakers bureau from the GSC, so that grad students don’t have to pay for speakers. Perhaps use some money from the reserves. They do 2 core things, hold internal events, and help other groups fund speakers. This year they have granted around 20 student groups funds, including 8 grad student groups. Internal events this year have included Ray Wilson, Chris Hardwit, Marshawn (?), Jimmy Wales, director of the Hurt Locker. These events are heavily attended by grad students. Recently the event hosting the Onion had over 50% grad students. Thinks reserve transfer is the most appropriate. They are hoping for aroung $75k from the GSC’s reserves. Isa asks about the average amount of cost they give per event? They say it depends on the speaker, Jon Stewart would cost about $150k. Majority of budget is honoraria, other things are event services (CEMEX Usually around $1500), food for speaker receptions, the receptions are usually open to grad students. For example they connected Onion writers to writers from the Flip Side. The groups they cosponsor are generally undergraduate groups. Trevor asks, if we fund them this year, this is not sustainable, how can they reach out to grad students more about the value of this? They do think about campaigning to get out the vote, but they focus on getting their value across to students more than to get out the vote. Cosponsorship account budget is about $22,000, honorarium account about $160k for honorarium. Dorian asks, what is the grad student turnout in voting, percentage? It was around 14.8% grad students. Wendy says, she agrees that grad student voting turnout is a problem, but Speakers Bureau could be doing a better job reaching out to graduate student groups the whole year instead of just the week before. She says she was not able to find info regarding how to apply for funding from the SB this year, the process is really bad. They say that their funding process is done standardized through OrgSync. Wendy says the general student does not know how to apply for the funding, the webpage needs to be updated. She also says that the Legal Counseling Office worked really closely with the GSC when we gave them the money, thinks they should do better. Sam says the SB website has been under construction for the past 6 months at least. Sam asks how much the undergrads are giving, and they say a lot more than $75k. JLF says that the undergrad’s funding is contingent on how much the GSC is willing to give. Their budget was $232k for last year, but the actual requested from students is $197k, and they are hoping for around $130k from undergrads and $60k from the GSC. Dorian says, there seems to be strict rules on how joint special fees work and we can debate whether or not they are correct or incorrect, he thinks it does not make total sense to just turn around to fund something that students did not approve? Have they done any research in the grad student community and did outreach and to show how graduate students think about the group? They say that the way they can tell the grad student support is to look at the attendance at their events. Dorian says if they can email the grad students who attended their events and ask for their support during ASSU elections? Isa asks what was the highest honorarium they gave out? Why is it not ok to ask grad students to pay for tickets to events? They say last year Aziz Ansari was $60k. The request per student was a little over $12. Trevor says he thinks they should be funded, because they will only fund them for 1 year, and not any more. David says we should fund it out of buffer funds so that this is a 1 time fee. We should write a bill and bring it back next week.
ASSU Executive Cabinet
Applications are open on Friday. Positions:
Issue leaders – working on various issues such as health etc.
Community liaisons – bringing ASSU exec work back to the community
Internal Officers – webmaster, treasurer, etc
DAC Chair Funding
Want Diversity Advocacy Committee chairs to be paid somehow in the future. Next year want positions as co-chairs because 1 chair is a lot of work. She will outline her responsibilities this year so we have idea of what co–chairs have to do. DAC initially started in 2004, when she became active on it there was only 1 active member on it. This year she tried to expand the DAC, wrote a DAC website. She oversees recruitment, project coordination, outreach to communities. Co-chairs to a substantial amount of work. Another reason is because more responsiblities can be distributed out if the position is paid. She’s thinking about $500 per person right now. Isa says maybe $1000.
Sam asked if there’s any way we can fund the DAC chair.
Trevor said that we should talk to Fred.
Wendy says that the process should be as transparent as possible. She wants people who have some level of engagement with the DAC, but because it’s a small new group, it’s important for people to have a strong commitment to the group. One application Wendy has received is from Gabe (who will be abstaining from any vote on this issue); the other is from another current DAC member. The eligibility requirements are 1) that they need to have attended at least two meetings this year; 2) that they’ve been working on a project within the DAC, or 3) they have a strong commitment to serve on the DAC next year.
Wendy pointed out that DAC also doesn’t exist because it’s not in the GSC by-laws, but they do have a line item in the budget.
For the next year, we’ll try to put something into the budget, though Trevor says that if we do so, we’ll have to lower someone else’s pay.
Grad formal update from Maria:
Maria notes that more people expressed a desire to come since it’s going to be on campus. Gabby agrees. But there are a lot of restrictions on campus: we cannot have cocktails, for example; only wine, beer, and champagne. There was a 30-minute battle over even wine-based cocktails, so catering is very strict because GSB has limited catering.
1500 people are expected this year; last year was 1000. Maria says we want to charge $35 per ticket. The event will be held from 9:30 – 12:30, and doors open at 9. Even with this, there had to be negotiation because catering wanted to stop serving alcohol at midnight. Food will be served a bit later in the evenig, so people will enjoy some entertainment until food and alcohol arrive.
Isa asks: If people get there at 9, will attendees find something to do?
Maria says that we’ve hired a company from SF that will send artists to guide people in, and there are acts throughout the night, such as jugglers, contortionists, and acrobats. So the formal is not just a party – there will be attractions.
Now that we have the Bon Appetit offer, we can start pushing the tickets and send out advertisements.
Dorian asks how catering will work with the final number of people. Maria says that we can adjust the number later on, though we have to give them a number up front and ask them the deadline to adjust the attendance numbers.
Overall, Maria says there was a disconnect with the GSB because their ticket prices are usually much higher, but for the grad population, $90 ticket prices aren’t normal.
Gabby points out that it’s a fun event that’s a celebration for the end of the year. Wendy says that we should advertise the entertainment too. Trevor says that tickets and fliers should go out by the end of this week.
Gabby points out that it’s not just on Maria – we all have to help advertise as well. Maria will send out ads to the GSC lists, to the CAs, to individual departments, to Grad Announce, etc.
Sam said that we need to put it on the calendar, and maybe we should consider making it stand out there.
Maria said that they thought about buying small fleece blankets with the GSC logo so that people could use them if they get cold since the event is outdoors. The cheapest ones were $4 per blanket, and they hope to get 500 blankets. They won’t be super high quality, but could be effective advertising. Can the GSC fund this?
Sam says that the chair can use the discretionary fund. (There is about $14,000 left) This is endowment money from the ASSU, which also pays for our retreats.
Wendy is concerned that the blankets will end up in trash cans.
Maria and Trevor feel that people wouldn’t do that.
Sam says that we did pass a bill last year for $15,000 for the reserves.
Maria says there might have been some kind of miscommunication from last year’s budget, as the numbers don’t seem to add up in terms of breaking even.
Isa asks whether or not Cantor was ever considered as a venue for the event.
Maria says that the problem is that we would need to do it in different rooms at Cantor. The advantage of the GSB is that it is one big space that will keep people from spliting up and encourage students form different schools to be in the same place. We also had low attendance rates from GSB students in the past, which is why we’re having it at the GSB this year.