Approved unanimously with 1 abstention.
Grad Students in Applied Physics:
-Next Friday at 5pm, want to have an Olympic-themed BBQ at Willis lounge, will have a BBQ and a field-day event. Requested $200 food and $120 alcohol, $20 event services, total $340, expect around 40 ppl. Recommendation is the same as the request. Voting,
Colombian Student Assoc:
-Want to host a reception for the President of the University of Los Andes, September 29, want a formal reception at the Alumni Center, want $450 for room and $150 for cleaning, expecting 60 grad students. Organizing this with the Alumni Association of ULA, they are providing the food and drinks. It’s not on the GSC calendar, they need to add it on the calendar. They should work on that now before they leave. No RSVP is required. Recommendation is $600 event services. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford India Assoc:
-On Aug 14, have Indian Independence Day event at Kennedy Great Room 2:30-6:30, expecting 100-120 ppl, want $300 food and $60 event services. Recommendation is $300 food, $60 event services. Voting, passes unanimously. Second event is for Fall Activities Fair, the cost of a full table on the fair on Sept 30 at White Plaza is $42.80, they would like to apply through event services. We have tabled the vote on this one because it is undergraduate-oriented.
Dutch Student Assoc:
-Oct 3, want to do a welcome BBQ for new students from the Netherlands. Either at Willis or somewhere else in Rains. Requesting $260 food, $170 alcohol, and $30 event services. Expecting grad students and about 60 ppl. Recommendation is the same as the request. Voting, passes unanimously.
SSE Board of Directors
Oversees / manages the diff business and enterprises that are run by students or student groups, oversees banking system for various VSOs, have board of director comprised of current stanford students, 3 appointed, 2 at large, and additional 5 who are external administrators. Proposing that we nominate the “grad student at large” position, proposing that we nominate Kali at our rep. The Grad Council will nominate someone who will then go to the subcommittee of the board who will then interview them, and then if they support that person then it goes to the board for a full vote. Voting, passes unanimously with 1 abstention.
Update on EV Parking Situation
R&DE and Parking have actually presented material on this now. There is an email going out to all EV community members, and there’s a community update in the GCC Havana Room next Wednesday Aug 10, 4:30-5:30, from R&DE and Parking administrators. They will talk briefly and field questions from the community. The project is still on the timetable but logistics are still fluctuating, they aren’t definitively sure about which areas will be demolished etc. They will present the best information they have. There’s no current plan to divert overflow parking to the Lake Lag lot, they are anticipating that the spots they have available will be able to accommodate all the spots that are lost in EV. Their plan is to shift parking south, they’re changing some space designations in some lots so that some of the lots south of Rains on Bowden will be available to grad ES parking. They are also proposing opening up Wilbur lot for ES parking. They are reducing the number of commuter spots back to ES spots, but that’s only like a dozen spots. Their main thing is to educate people and provide clear info on where they can park now for this southern shift, so that the northern areas will not have added pressures from these other areas. They will also send out a lot of info to incoming grad students encouraging them not to bring cars, also looking into potentially providing credits for Lyft/Uber/Zipcar for students. Also will look into prohibiting 2 car contracts, there are a small num of ppl who have 2 parking passes, it’s estimated at 50 ppl, they will restrict it to 1 student 1 ES parking permit. David asks how this is possible that some students can have 2 parking passes. Terence says they didn’t provide demographics but maybe this is for families. They also proposed the Loading Zones and want feedback from students on that, which will rely on community enforcement. They do show that they’ve thought about it, and there’s no plan to do diff levels of parking passes or assigned spots. Sean asks how do families feel about this? Terence says this was a productive meeting for families to see that the R&DE and Parking are thinking of this, and that they are actually formulating plans. He got the impression that the families thought it was a good meeting, and that R&DE and Parking have indicated that they want to continue dialogue with the families.
2 major events that the GSC puts on: Welcome Dinner from 5-7pm on Sunday night 9/18 on the EV South Courtyard (alternative site is by BBQ pits), in talking to GLO they didn’t ask Terence where he wants the site to be. Plan is to confirm space, order pizza, drinks (non-alcoholic), and ice. Other event that week is the Mock Meeting, Wednesday night during the regular time in the Havana Room. Question: how do we present ourselves and what we do to the grad students? We should figure out by the 9/7 meeting what we want to do in that meeting. Sam says in the past years it’s been pretty hurriedly thrown together so we might want to start from a clean slate. The most important thing is probably to break it down into the 3 things that we do: collection and distribution of student fees, internal programming, and advocacy. Gives it 3 very clear anchor points for ppl to do. The 9/7 meeting is ensuring that the checklist of what ppl are doing for the events, and swag as well. Terence will send out emails about that to solidify it before that happens.
Discussion of the silo effect and isolation within a department and between depts, finances are challenging for living here, understanding mechanisms behind setting stipends / info about when you’re paid etc, advisor relationships. One goal is a grad-wide survey (maybe sending it out toward the end of the fall quarter, or during the winter quarter?), need to sit down with VPGE/VPSA on what restrictions are there for that. Also student engagement. Maria says somehow having a presence at VSO events so that ppl know that the GSC funded the event.
Greg Boardman wants us to do a dinner at his lakehouse on a Mon or Tues night during the first weeks.