Minutes Approval 8/3/2016
Approved unanimously with 2 abstentions.
Brief Overview of the GSC
Have 3 primary missions: fund VSOs, plan events, do advocacy work. Interested in getting better pathways with grad students, trying to put together a grad wide survey to gauge what the Stanford experience is like for diff backgrounds and programs, what is good and what is bad. Another goal is to respect everyone who is attending the meeting.
Stanford Polish Student Assoc:
- Organizing welcome back BBQ on Oct 13, recurring event so have it every year. This year they plan BBQ/bonfire in Lagunita fire pit, need food and alcohol money. Recommendation is $70 event services, $300 food, $80 alcohol, $15 gas, total is $465. Expecting 30-40 students + guests. They have reserved Lagunita already. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Wine Society:
- Annual kickoff event, blind tasting. Will have 2 reds and 2 whites, served blind, president will give talk about what to look for and the differences between the 2. Open to everyone, is on the GSC calendar. Haven’t gotten RSVP yet, but will cap the event at 100 ppl. Will also have food there. Recommendation is $300 food, $430 alcohol, $40 event services. Total is $770. The event is tomorrow, and Isa said she checked yesterday and it wasn’t on the calendar. The RSVP is out now and not closed yet, they said. Will be at Lyman atrium. Voting contingent that it is put on the calendar before the meeting ends, vote passes unanimously.
Stanford Bhakti Yoga:
- 2 events: one on wellness in cooking, another on mindful meditation. Meant to help spread awareness about meditation. Requested $100 each for the events, also additionally requested $200 for a projector screen to project slides on. Recommendation for 1st cooking event: $100 food. For second event on mindful yoga teaching, $100 for food, and $100 for equipment purchase. Screen is a standalone screen. We could add it to the equipment bill if we do not already have one. The first event they need this for is 10/6, next Thursday. Pau says we have a screen in the room. Voting on the 1st event food $100, passes unanimously. Voting on $100 food for meditation event, ($0 for the equipment since we already have screen), passes unanimously.
Joint event from Black Graduate Student Assocs:
- Requesting $2060 for a welcome back event this FRiday from 6:30pm onward at the Black Student Services Center. Requesting $500 in event services. Requesting $300 alcohol, $200 for DJ, plates/stuff for $60. They’ve already sent out an RSVP, expecting about 125 ppl to show up. Recommendation is $1000 food, $500 event services (rentals from event services), $300 alcohol, $260 for event services. $2060 in total. RSVP is to gauge the amount of food for planning, not needed to attend the event. Voting on $2060 in total, passes unanimously.
Stanford Japanese Student Assoc:
- Welcome back party on Oct 1 at lunch, reserved Bechtel intl center, got partial funding from Bechtel ($1000). Expect around 150 grad students to come. Requested $1500 in funding for food. Recommended is $1500 for food. Voting, passes unanimously.
Maria makes announcement about GSC Welcome Back Party.
Joint event, Stanford German Assoc and Stanford Brewing Club:
- Will have event on Sunday, Oktoberfest, German-style BBQ with German sausages and beer and German brass band, around 600 ppl expected, splitting it up between the 2 groups. German assoc requesting $300 event services, $425 honorarium, $2000 food, $200 alcohol. Total recommendation is $2000 food, $1500 alcohol, $425 honoraria, $300 event services, total $4225. Voting to approve $4225, passes unanimously.
Stanford Unmanned Vehicles (SUAVE):
-2016-17 kickoff for Oct 4, expecting 30+ grad students, want funds to rent the room, asking for $200 food, $50 event services, $200 for room rentals, for $460 in total. Welcome students to the new year, showing them what the club is about, briefing about how students can get flight trained. Recommendation is $200 food and nothing else. Expecting about 30 grad students and about equal number of undergrads. The UGS funding deadline was much earlier so they missed that, so they didn’t get any funding from the UGS. Recommendation is $450 split as they have requested. Voting, passes unanimously.
Korean Student Assoc:
- Having welcome party for new students at the Oak Lounge, Oct. 8. Recommendation is $2100 food, $800 event services (room rental). Total is $2900. Recommendation was amended to include projectors and screens. Expecting 250 ppl to attend. Voting based on contingency of changing the date of the event, voting passes unanimously.
- Asking for the $6000 cap for the after school program, which includes science-related trips, orientation meetings, appreciation meetings. Recommendation is $1750 food, $4250 event services. They have maybe 15-30 consistent grad students who always come every time, and there are other students who don’t come all the time. Students also have to do a background check. In the past they’ve put in a weekly event on the GSC calendar, not sure if they’ve done it this year already but will try to do it again. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Science Pen Pals:
- Science outreach org at Stanford, for the past 2 years they’ve put on a penpal exchange program. Pair up science/engineering grad students with a 7-12th grader from 4 schools across the country. Providing these kids to role models, diverse array of careers, this year working with 4 or maybe 5 schools. One school in Cali, another in NM, other 2 are in CO and TX. Plan on having 160-200 students that they’ll be writing to. We provide them with all the equipments required to write and also pay for the postage, also provide these things from the Stanford students who are writing the letters. Helps to have letter writing sessions at Stanford to help the writing process. They provide food at these letter writing sessions. Requesting money for material for letter writing, postage, and food. Recommendation is $112.42 event services (writing supplies), $712 for event food, $1408 for equipment purchase (postage), total of $3232.43. Isa asks if they had an info session. They were at GOALIE, but they send out emails to every email list that they know of. Isa suggests they send to grad-announce as well. Isa says they can put their recruitment efforts on the GSC calendar. We have also funded it last year. They are trying out the lockbox this year to see whether or not it will be stolen. Hoping to put the boxes somewhere in a place where someone can keep an eye on it at all times. Jennie asks, is it just hard sciences or soft sciences too? They say they have a wide variety of ppl in archaeology and other social sciences. Voting on $3232.43, passes unanimously.
Mentoring Young Students in Open Projects/ Problems in Science:
- Science outreach program, go to magnet high school in SJ and mentor HS students through their science fair projects. Longstanding commitment, go every saturday for about 6 months, meet with students and work with them through their science fair projects. Hoping to bring them to Stanford in the winter or spring quarters so they can meet scientists here. Asking for food for the mentors, have 35 committed mentors this year, have several other people who are planning to join in Jan/Feb. Asking for $2900 food for mentors, and $3100 for food (lunch) for the HS students and the mentors. Recommendation is $6000 food. They recruited during the summer, were also at GOALIE last week, planning to go to the undergrad version of GOALIE too, but they have no mechanism for undergrads to participate. Have recruitment BBQs too. Last year they were under the 49ers Academy, this year it is a standalone org. Voting on $6000, passes unanimously.
Stanford Taiwanese Students Assoc:
- Not here this week. But they had an event last Sat and it wasn’t on the GSC calendar. Maybe add something onto the guidelines about events during the summer when the GSC is not in session.
- Event is this Sunday, having a welcome BBQ at Willis. Going to have Korean BBQ and samosas, expect to have about 250 attendants, requested $1200 food and $100 event services (utensils and coal). Recommendation is $1300 in total. Do not need RSVP. Voting, passes unanimously.
Bill on Previous Notice for New Equipment
Need new equipment. We have speakers which are used very often and are broken so we need to replace them, and also the mixing table. Total is $701.44. Gabby also asked whether we could get a karaoke machine.
Update on Welcome Back Party
Next week Friday, voted in members of the GSC are required to work at the event. People should stick around later too because we need a lot of help when it ends at 1. We need to forward the advertising emails to our departments. Isa asks if GLO will give service hours for volunteer for this one. Jennie asks if can ask sober monitors who were at grad formal to come to this again.
Update on Title IX training
Mandatory training now. First deadline was yesterday for avoiding the hold. There are 2 parts of the training. If you do not have both parts completed before the opening of enrollment for winter classes, then the hold comes in place. Chairs are working with registrar to put hold in now instead of at Oct. 30. About 8000 have completed, that’s 2-3k still haven’t completed part 1 of the training. Training will not close even beyond the deadline. What will happens right now is, if they completed the training (part 1) today, part 2 opens up 30 days later, which is the day before holds. So they should take part 1 now so they won’t be barred from enrolling when winter enrollment opens up, since they have to wait 30 days between part 1 and 2. GSC is working with the Title IX Office and the registrar to put up the hold now instead of Oct. 30.
Advocacy: EV Parking Situation
Terence has heard from EV residents, concern from ppl living in EV about parking. Trying to put together a committee of people from Rains/EV/GSC reps. Isa asks, are these concerns or are these problems that have already started? Terence says, idea is that they’ve reduced the housing and hundreds of parking spaces in EV. There’ll be potential net loss of parking at EV, parking dynamics will shift so will couples or families who are around the construction have parking spots. Isa says, is that idea that when EV ppl lose their parking they will move to Rains? Terence says yes, these communities with the ES parking will all be affected. Wilbur field parking garage is currently not ES parking.
Advocacy: Measure B
A community group is trying to pass “measure B” which will increase sales tax to improve transportation in Santa Clara county. They’ve sought the endorsement of the UGS and the UGS seems likely to pass it. Implementing a 0.5% sales tax for 30 years. Chairs’ personal view is that we shouldn’t be acting on this because it seems outside of our scope. Isa asks, what exactly are we voting on? They said, they want student endorsements because a previous ballot they held was affected a lot by students. Yiren says it seems more of an inter-university issue and not intra-university issue. David asks whether or not the constitution says anything about it? Yiren says it might not be unconstitutional, but it just does not seem appropriate for the GSC to rule on this. Measure B will be voted on in November. Pau says it seems they probably want to show support from Stanford, not that they want Stanford students to vote on the measure because there are a lot of students who cannot vote. David says he agrees with Yiren that this issue is irrelevant to GSC’s mission. They say that in a way it does affect students who commute. Jennie says we either don’t go into the issue, or we have to look at both sides of the issue, because it is a semi-political issue. Terence says we are conducting a straw poll, people who want the measure B people to come present (3 in favor) vs. people who do not want the measure B people to come present (4 opposed), 4 abstaining. They will bring back the results of the GSC straw poll back to the undergrad senate and amend their resolutions accordingly.
GSC Website Taskforce
Getting 2-3 ppl to work with the website, working with Shengkai to make the website relevant. How do we want to design the website. EV BBQ pit is going to be gone during the construction!
GSC Online Voting
What are the guidelines for how we approach online voting (via email).
Lots of people, new students, excitement.
- Paperwork for the stipends – Terence will talk to people offline about that.
- Retreat – Pau thinks we can do 2 a quarter, we can do a dinner around here or something, this time in a place where we can get a whole room for us. Maybe karaoke rooms.
- Lakehouse dinner – Oct. 13 Thursday, signup on Terence’s email.
- Caltrain passes – is it going to be free for off-campus students? It’s now free for off-campus students!