There will be a joint meeting with the Undergraduate Senate next Tuesday night at 7:30 pm, in the Nitery (next to Old Union). Terence will send out a map. We need a quorum to call that meeting. Terence: Isa, Pau, Terence, Jenny, Yirene, Gabby. If you cannot attend, please send a proxy. Terence will send out a reminder.
We will have visitors from CAPS/Vaden to talk about mental health services available for graduate students on Feb 8.
There will be a Grad Housing Project Update from RD&E on Feb 1 during our regular meeting.
Terence takes attendance, we have quorum.
Vote to approve minutes from Jan 11: passes with one abstention.
Gabby reports on her plans for all upcoming social events. The first is the “How to Find Off-Campus Housing Info Session” that is all confirmed for Wed, Feb 1st from 12 am – 1 pm in the GCC’s Havana Room. Gabby has confirmed representatives from Housing – Jennifer Padilla-Wong, who did a great job with her informative presentation last year. It helps a lot to have someone from housing there because a lot of the students’ questions are often about the housing lottery. From the ASSU Legal Counselling Office, lawyer Tyler Atkinson will be coming, and the students reported finding his presentation very useful last year, so we are very happy he can come again. There will be pizza and soft drinks. Gabby asks when we should start the sign-up and if we can send out a grad-wide email for it. Terence says he can send out the grad-wide email tomorrow, we can start the sign-up then – this is two weeks before the event.
Gabby is also working on Grad Formal and trying to finalize a caterer. The caterer the Alumni Association recommended to try to find a less costly option than last year. Gabby contacted them, however, and they said that the budget we have wouldn’t be enough for them to provide everything we are requesting, and more importantly, that they find large student events challenging; they did not wish to take the event on. Gabby therefore recommends contacting the same caterer that did the event last year. They were excellent and of a very high caliber and professionalism, and we always wanted to use them again, we were just trying to find some lower cost options, but we have now confirmed that with an event of this scale and of this bandwith, going with established options that can do the event is the best choice. Gabby has also contacted Event Services to try to get things started with them early on the event floorplan, lighting, sound, etc.
Mei Li is here as a families CA representative here to talk about family events at Stanford. In the past they’ve received funding from the GSPB and the GSC for family events. She explains traditions in the past: the carnival, kids and youth Valentine’s Day dance, etc. She explains these events are important for community building. The events are for both kids and parents, they have multiple purposes. Asking for funding for one event per quarter. Terence says we already have funds earmarked from family events for the entire year, the GSC saves money out of the social events budget specifically for family events. This money is meant for these quarterly family events as per the GSC tradition of supporting family events.
Kali has been nominated to be the Elections Commissioner; she is not running for the GSC next year as per the stipulation for this position. This is on previous notice.
Asking for $300 for a winter mixer. Studio 5/6 lounge this Friday at 6 pm. It’s on the GSC calendar already. $175 for food and ENABS and $125 for beer and wine. Terence reminds us that the GSC and ASSU are nonpolitical organizations, as long as the event is nonpolitical this follows our guidelines.
Recommendation is $300, $175 for food and ENABS and $125 for beer and wine. Passes unanimously.
- Stanford Lindy Project and the Stanford Viennese Ball
This year’s 40th celebration, the dance was originally brought back from people studying abroad from Vienna when that was an option at Stanford. It’s a big social dance event that happens every February. On this special anniversary year, it will be at the Palace Hotel to invoke the traditional Viennese ball atmosphere. Social dance is a de-stressor for graduate students. In addition to the ball, there are two weeks of dance classes to help anyone get ready. It’s off campus but transportation is included. Asking for $12 000, total cost is $90 000. $45-50 000 going towards the hotel, $5500 is transportation, the bands are $3000, flooring is $4000. Lindy Project is $6000 for Event Services, for Stanford Viennese Ball is $4000 for Event Services, and $2 000 for honorariums. Terence asks when are the dance lessons – every night for two weeks before the event, on campus – please add these to the GSC calendar. Ateeq asks for the budget last year: $53 000, year before $60 000, the difference is the price of the hotel. Ateeq asks if they are a registered grad student group. The answer is yes; they are grandfathered in. Isa says they are expecting 800 students, but what if there is increased demand? Would the group cap it and at what number? Yes, at 800 people who you sell tickets to + organizing committee + honored guests. Representative says traditionally most tickets go to students. It is open to the public, but primarily caters to students. Ateeq asks how many grad students typically go to this event? Answer is about half the students who come are grad students; this would be about 300-400 people. Pau asks if there will be GSC sponsorship recognition at the event? They will display the GSC banner at the event. They will also put the GSC logo on all the material. Terence points out because this is the special anniversary year, this cost increase if due to that, and not something that we should expect every year. Group representative confirms.
Recommendation is $12 000. It passes unanimously.
Mixer at the Firehouse, tomorrow night at 6 pm at the LGTB CRC. Please add the event to the GSC calendar.
Recommendation is $400 for food. It passes unanimously.
- French Association
Organizing their annual gala, their most attended event. Will be serving galette des rois. Asking for $400 for food, $60 for Event services and $340 for alcohol. Will provide the cakes, some finger food and wine.
Recommendation is $800. It passes unanimously.
- Stanford Taiwanese Student Association
Hosting Chinese New Year Event. January 28th in the GCC Havana Room.
Recommendation is $75 event services, $1600 for food. The second event is a dumpling lunch on Feb 28, $75 event services, $600 for the food.
Terence moves to vote on both as it’s the same VSO. No objections. Vote passes unanimously.
- Stanford Tango Club
This Saturday at 6 pm in Bechtel; the group is having their main social event for the quarter. Catered dinner, wine and then a tango class. Good opportunity for people to come see if they like tango, they invite everyone to attend! Because they are now also having wine (alcohol) and not just food, the group will need to submit a budget modification form through mygroups. We can approve the total amount and then do a budget modification.
Recommendation is $400 for food and $100 for alcohol. Vote passes unanimously.
- Stanford Africa Entrepreneurship Network
Jan 27 – innovation pitches. Theme is on healthcare, students from different disciplines. Asking for $100 for food.
Recommendation is $100 for food. Vote passes unanimously.
- Women in Aeronautics and Astronautics
Event to go see the Hidden Figures movie - $1300 to rent out theatre to go see this. Theatre is in Redwood City. Combination of carpool signups and it’s right on the Caltrain tracks. Date is tentative for Feb 1. Will be in the evening. Terence asks if the group could finalize some details, such as a spreadsheet for transportation. The group says they didn’t want to commit and advertise the event to everyone unless they can be sure about having funding; they would like to first know about funding and then they can call the theater to finalize the date. Once they have the date finalized, please be sure to put it on the GSC calendar. By the time of the next funding committee meeting, please have the event on calendar. If not please come back and re-represent next Wednesday. The funding is conditional on this stipulation.
Recommendation is $1300. Passes with one abstention.
- Stanford Wine Society
Movie screening with serving mulled wine; will be projecting the movie, will also have some snacks. Requesting our projector – connect with Miguel, our equipment manager. However, our projector isn’t very reliable -we suggest a better alternative would be to rent a projector from the Tech Desk at Lathrop Library. Ateeq suggests they can go talk to the Lathrop staff just to be sure.
Recommendation is $150 for food, $150 for alcohol. Passes unanimously.
**Break for dinner**
**Meeting is called back to order*
Graduate student Dean is here to announce The Resistance march on Friday, Jan 20 for students who are concerned about the upcoming Trump administration. If anyone is interested, they can go talk to Dean more afterwards the meeting.
Dean details that there is a Meyer Lawn rally on Friday, and a lunch is in Building 50, Room, 51A. There is a question from another grad student about what concrete steps the group organizing the rally is taking and if there is a space on campus for students who support Trump. Dean says in regards to concrete steps, they can tie in to various issues such as becoming a sanctuary campus, sexual assault, etc. Rosie says she has gotten the impression that the rally is a combination of different campus groups working together, but there is a group, Against Hate, that is reaching out to both conservatives and liberals on campus. Rosie asks if there is a rain plan for the event; Dean says because there are so many people expected it’s difficult to find a venue, so the group is advertising to students to bring their umbrella and raincoats.
There is a question about the GSC’s apolitical stance requirement. Ateeq says that California state law says to keep our nonprofit organization status (501C3), we are a nonpolitical group. Terence says the GSC is a good space for conversation and discussion.
**School of Engineering Dean Search**
Ateeq says this past Friday the School of Engineering held a town hall meeting on what they would like to see in their new Dean. Diversity, scholarship, interdisciplinary schools were all points that were brought up. There is a graduate student on the committee. Luca asks how the students were selected to be on the committee, Ateeq says he doesn’t know off the top of his head. Isa asks if the selection process for the Dean of Engineering is similar to the process for the President search. No one in the room knows at the moment how the students for the committee is selected, different departments have different rules. Gabby points out that we do not know how the student was selected, so we should not engage in speculation – we should first find out what the appointment process actually was. Pau says we should decide up to what level we would like NomCom to appoint – Provost yes, Dean? Anything else? Ateeq says another option would be to have NomCom provide a recommendation, but not necessarily have the final say. Ateeq says a key difference between the search that was conducted 4 years ago and this search is that before it was world wide and now they are looking internally only. This is due to bandwidth and timing.
Gabby asks for input on whether we should have another social event this quarter. Our social events budget always runs tight for everything we want to do, especially as the costs of facilities and basically everything goes up quite a bit from year to year, but events are important for student well-being and stress reduction. She suggests a De-Stress Day. Terence advises having it the week before finals as it is high stress season! Gabby thinks that is a great idea and she says she will start planning it right away.