GSC Meeting Minutes
6pm Wednesday January 25th 2012, GCC Nairobi Room
Voting members in Attendance
Earth Sciences: Marine Denolle
Engineering: Anne-Laure Cuvilliez
Engineering: Adeel Arif
H&S Humanities: Unfilled
H&S Social Sciences: Kamil Dada
H&S Natural Sciences: Unfilled
At-large: Lida Teneva
At-large: Addy Satija
At-large: Ateeq Suria
At-large: Manish Choudhary proxy Justin Brown present
At-large: Sjoerd de Ridder
Voting members not in attendance
Law: Daniel Rojas
Others in attendance: Cathy Jan, Hrishi Goel, Adrienne Johnson, Bill Nodeser, Catherine Chang, Kevin Graf, Fadi Zoghzoghy, Stephen Trusheim, Ningxuan Wang
5:45 Dinner (Thanks Ray’s!)
6:10 Call to order (Addy/Marine)
- Proxies Justin Brown for Manish Choudhary
Please where your helmets. It’s no joke.
6:11 Approve minutes (Justin) no changes. Minutes pass by consensus
6:15 GSPB funding + discussion on $$ allocated for food at events (Krystal/George/Addy)
Krystal: Contacted by Addy indicating the some of the GSPB events have different funding practices than the VSOs. VSO groups have a smaller budget per person than GSPB events. The group is working with what the GSC approves- as do VSOs.
The scope of the events are essentially different since VSOs are not in the scope of having dinners, and GSPB is in the scope of having people from all over campus who otherwise never would have met each other get together for a meal.
George: The proposal is for the GSPB to continue to fund less out of GSC and augment with their own GSPB funds (from the Grad Life Office).
Everyone agrees with this.
Jan. 29 Buffet Dinner to Passage of India, 20 people. $300
Feb 2. Sushi 88. 20 people. $300
Open Microphone Night. The first times this was run it a little rough on scope, but the recent event was a hit. Want to do it again on March 1.
Request is for $300 from GSPB co-sponsorship.
6:26 Spring concert in Frost amphitheater (Stephen)
Request for Funds in Frost Amphitheater to do a total Student Body-wide concert. Stephen is here to see if there is interest in grad students being involved in this?
This is currently being funded out of the buffer fund from the Undergrad part of the ASSU.
The event is intended to be a dry event since the Alcohol Abuse Prevention/Management co-sponsors the event. However, if grad students want to held their own beer tent they can have it outside of the walls of the amphitheater. The feel of this is to be a 5-hour music festival, but it’s not like Coachella.
Regardless of if the GSC funds this or not, the intent is that the event is fun for all.
Action Item is to feel the grad population out and see if there’s interest via light survey.
6:40 Funding (Adeel/AnneLaure)
- Stanford Student in EE
This group is here for the interest of Grad Students in Electrical Engineering. They are a VSO. The request this week is for programming and equipment rental. $150 for programming, $330 for equipment rental for photo booth, ropes. Total is $480.
Roughly 150 tickets sold. the breakdown of EE vs non EE is unknown.
Passes by consensus.
- Stanford Indian Association
India’s Republic Day. Request is for morning breakfast event, flag pole. Based on previous years, this is a soly grad group. Request is for $245 dollars passes by consensus.
Inviting a speaker to discuss how to get. A Chinese alum wants to talk about how to find a job as a engineer. The event will be held in the Havana Rm. on Monday.
Request is for $150 for refreshments.
objections. Role call vote
- Brewing club (discussion)
Question about funding an event off campus. There is a scholar planning to hold an event part of her fellowship she wants to hold an event about beer drinking (being donated) and culture and song, followed by discussion. The event is to be in San Francisco.
The question is about the event being funded for food and transportation and the event would be ticketed.
If the VSO is funded, the event has a huge number of liabilities since the event is off campus.
There is a request for a bus trip to Russian River production facility. Again, if the funds are not through the VSO, there’s more flexibility in organizing transportation to the event.
7:00 Grad Formal Update (Cathy/Manish)
Fliering and PR need more push. Can someone be charged with fliering. One idea is to make the backdrop of cluster computers the grad formal flier. This may or may not be a possibility- hrishi will follow up.
As for wristbands and stamps at security check, both will be used.
7:10 Any Other Business: Adrienne joining us (Addy/Marine)
There is a request to suspend the rules of order.
There is a vote to install Adrienne Rose Johnson as the Stanford School of Humanities: Humanities Representative effective immediately.
Adrienne is immediately sworn in. Welcome Rep. Johnson.
7:30 GHAC meeting update (Addy/Marine)
1. Housing survey is coming in. Please fill out the survey if you haven’t yet.
2. Everyone should know about housing for 2012-2013 by May 26. They will again be looking to off-campus housing for overflow to fulfill the guarantees to first year grads and students no re-entering the lottery.
3. There will be a three day downtime for the twighlights in the high rises.
4. The package office for grad students will be available next quarter and will initially be free.
5. All new housing needs a concerted effort for wider range of affordable options and privacy options.
7:45 GCC Ops meeting update (Marine)
Need to clear out the GSC office so floor can be replaced. Feb 15, after GSC meeting, we will clear the office so floor can be replaced.
The bricks used for smoking meat need to permanently leave the building. Marine and Justin will write
7:54 Next meeting & Adjournment (Addy/Marine)