-Grad announce due at 10am tomorrow.
-Some leaders from Vaden and CAPS coming next week to talk about grad students and mental health.
-On Feb 15, R&DE coming to talk about grad housing complex updates
-Off-campus grad housing event today, 248 RSVPs and 210 ppl came, ppl were standing in the Havana room, we’re doing another after lottery results come out. Someone from housing who answers all the questions about the lottery was there, there were many students there who are losing housing and thought they would be able to make it in the lottery even though realistically they probably won’t. A lawyer was there too to answer questions, advertised the Legal Counseling Office. Gabby will send the materials to people who couldn’t come tonight. She also asked people on the survey why they came to the workshop, and in those answers she saw a lot of things that should be routed to the Legal Counseling office, such as landlords doing shady things etc. It’s good for us to catch these things so we can route them to the appropriate destinations. Gabby also collected degree data from ppl coming, lots of Master’s students but also lots of people who are graduating. All the GLO deans came to help Gabby set up the chairs.
-Grad formal planning still going on. Trying to get event services to respond to her.
-De-stress day, trying to get the dogs to come, they are harder to book.
Bill to fund Valentine’s Day party
Was on previous notice. Terence motions to vote, Gabby seconds. Votes, passes unanimously.
Resolution Responding to Immigration Executive Order
This resolution is on how the EO affects Stanford students, especially the grad student detained at JFK for a few hours. Over 50 students at Stanford are affected by this EO. The Stanford administration is actively working on this, this resolution is to show student support for what the Stanford administration is doing. It is a joint resolution. Undergraduate Senate took a straw poll on it last night and it passed unanimously. Kate asks if this is tied to Sanctuary Campus, Trevor says no. Isa says, there is a student in her dept who is affected by this EO. Isa says in all these years this student hasn’t been able to go back and visit his family, but he was afraid that the process might snag, and now he absolutely cannot go home. Terence says there is a meeting tomorrow for all students organized by Bechtel. Shanna said Kali had a comment that the bill should be clear that it’s referring to Stanford administration and not US administration. Trevor said that’s already fixed. Terence calls for a straw poll on this resolution. Voting on straw poll for the resolution, passes unanimously. Resolution will be up for a vote next week.
Joint event btw Stanford Matl Research society and GSAPP:
-Happy hour type event. “Glamour” thing because it’s with the GLAM (this is the name of the group of students). Will be held at the Varian courtyard next Friday at 4:30pm. This event was funded last year by GSC. In total they are asking for $630 food, $330 food, $60 event services, in total $1020. Recommendation is same as request. Expected attendance is 120 ppl. Voting, passes unanimously.
Brazilian Student Assoc:
- Not here yet.
Armenian Student Assoc:
-Applied for 3 events. First event is “Armenian cultural preview”, indoors space with food and music and ppl with a dance program. Asked for $200 for food, which will be home-cooked. Expected attendance is around 40 ppl. Hoping for more ppl this time. Recommendation is $200 food. Next event is a movie screening, a movie called “Promise” that describes someone’s journey through the Armenian genocide, which will be on the genocide memorial day (Apr 24), planning to hold it in the history corner, asked for money for refreshments and event services. They held a similar event like this 2 years ago and had roughly 30 ppl attend. Recommendation is $80 food and $20 event services. Last event is Armenian cultural night, which is now in the 3rd year. Combine a BBQ with a cultural preview to have a big event with lots of people. Last year there were 40 people but they’ve expanded their community and hope to have more. They will try to buy more food and do serious BBQing. Recommendation is $400 food. Voting all 3 events as a batch, passes unanimously.
Orthodox Christian Fellowship:
-Has not gotten grad student funding in past. Small group, maybe 12 core members, don’t have access to Freshman religious affiliation funds, since their members have become grad students now they are applying for GSC funding. Applying for food money for weekly dinners. They are asking for $350 food, but according to guidelines, because they are holding dinner event they can only be given $14 per person for dinner, so recommendation is $168. Funding guidelines say we treat weekly events as one event. Ateeq asks, where did the $14 for dinner show up? Isa says it’s on the online guidelines. David motions to vote on recommendation is $168, passes unanimously with 1 abstention.
-Asking for $500 to fund yearly lunar new year celebration, to be held in Feb 17. $500 will subsidize food for the event. This is the 3rd time in 3rd year they have applied for this event. Event held with another group. They have always asked for $500 from the GSC in past years. Event open to every one, no RSVP required, held in Li Ka Shing Center. Historically they have held the lunar NY celebration a couple of weeks later because a lot of people are home with family or friends and a lot of other VSOs holding similar events. Also a lot of decorations and foods are cheaper then. Recommendation is $500 food. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Black Bioscience Org:
-Not here. This event led to the question of “what is defined as a joint event?” since the guidelines are very vague about it. The metrics that they used is that both FOs talk about jointly organizing the event, even though BioAIMS do not need the GSC funds for this event. In the future we need to discuss how an event counts as a joint event, especially since joint events do not have the soft cap, which is determined by how many students are active in the VSO.
-Participating in Vietnamese Student Organization, which is holding a lunar new year festival this Sat at White Plaza (street market), they are requesting $100 in food to have a table at the event and serve some food. Isa asks whether the food will be free or not, but there might also be paid food as well. Voting on recommendation of $100 in food, passes unanimously.
Housing Advocacy: Couples Living in Non-Couples Housing
Alexis sent an email to GSC chairs, found opportunity in Housing, possibility in having couples living in housing with other people in the house. There is a shortage in couples housing, if they can change this policy this might help. It would address housing shortages and also illegal move-ins that are happening already which can get people kicked out. For example, she is off-campus and has her own room and would want her partner to move in with her roommate’s permission. Pau says this sounds pretty reasonable. Isa says she would be apprehensive about this, for example her roommate in her first year had a SO who was there all the time, which she didn’t like. They had to have talks about this setting the ground rules. She thinks that this would lead to more conflicts. Kate asks, does she have her own personal bathroom? Alexis says yes. Kate says would Alexis be open to signing this in the contract, because there might be rate changes for people who are living together. Alexis says she understands, she just would love an opportunity to live with her SO and friends at the same time. Gabby says, while the GSC could support this, she could see a lot of students being upset with this because there already isn’t enough on-campus housing, they might ask why they can’t move in with a non-SO if Stanford would allow 2 ppl living in the same room. David says there might be an issue if a roommate who has agreed to this moves out in the middle of the term and the university has to find someone willing to replace them. Terence says that Alexis should formulate a policy which can be put in front of the GHAC. David says, she should put something together that answers the questions that were brought up at today’s meeting satisfactorily.
Diversity Advocacy Committee Updates
Eduardo is here, with Christine Wilson. They are the core leadership of the DAC. They are here in the hopes of intensifying the relationship between the GSC and DAC. DAC is a part of the GSC, but definitely they would like to increase the communication between both parties, see how DAC can carry mission of the GSC forward and vice versa. He started his involvement with DAC a few years ago with Wendy Ni, when they brought back the DAC which was inactive at the time, and Gabe Rodriguez. They want to strengthen the leadership this year, get talented individuals from the community to be part of the team. DAC also wants to be sustainable looking into the future. Eduardo is working as a senior leader in the group right now, but planning on stepping aside at the end of the year. Part of their project is that they are passing info on in a good way. On the website, there is their mission statement, and projects. It is an ambitious goal, but they are trying to build out a structure that can carry out this mission, and to have a more continuous presence. DAC core members are meeting twice a month to plan and to discuss what’s happening on campus. These members are from different departments across the campus. They are entering their third year, growing in scope. They are in constant conversation with the VPGE, as in helping with NomCom in selecting the 3 ppl for the Diversity Steering Committee that the VPGE is leading. They have an org structure with their roles defined with a purpose, created awareness, and have a communication network. They also have the capacity to reach out to interested members in the community. Diversity week began 2 years ago, and with increased publicity and funds, they expanded it to Diversity month, which has a lot more events and organization involved. Also a program of mini-grants, with 7 events from $1800 or so funds. They are also continuing outreach to other schools and departments. Christine says, this year what they are doing is trying to plan the Diversity month again, and they are hosting brainstorming sessions this week, which is open to the public, so anyone who is interested can come. Over the Diversity month they want to have a range of events that are interesting to a wide range of people within and outside of the Stanford community. They want events at the GSB, law school, humanities, etc., but also outside of the academic lens such as more social events. So they are looking for a broad range of people to come to these brainstorming meetings. The other sorts of events are the mini-grants, which they have funding from the VPGE to allow people to design and execute their projects from start to finish. The other thing they have been working toward is to hold a Diversity leadership summit for all student leadership on campus, which is a workshop for student leaders across campus to equip them with tools to better handle the range of voices that are on this campus, similar to what NomCom is trying to achieve such that there is a wide range of voices in the community on campus. Once more, tomorrow noon at El Centro and saturday at GCC at 11am they are having the brainstorming meeting. Another thing is that they have also supported many student organizations that are focused on activism, which also falls under the DAC’s mission. To quickly talk about the resources, most of their funding comes from the VPGE, but they also get money from the GSC, so if they want to have a bigger event, having more funding is better. Human resources wise, they do rely on core members to get the word out there, but also to get ideas from the core members and student organizations that they are in, so more voices are heard. Areas of future growth, they are thinking of the leadership summit, which would go beyond Diversity month, and also trying to keep supporting student organizations that may not be necessarily be clearly focused on diversity. Another program that DAC would like to be in is in outreach or community service, they are thinking of starting a mentoring program with grads and undergrads, this will help the grad students become better leaders and also expand their ways of dealing with more diversity. Eduardo says, the DAC is not aiming to be another organization, but aims to be a hub where different communities can talk to each other, pool their resources, more collaboration, etc. Kate says, she is curious about diversity training, especially for grad students looking to become professors, wondering if they are reaching out to VPGE/VPTL and other departments. Christine says, that’s what they are trying to achieve with the summit, although they weren’t trying to just focus on graduate students who are looking to teach, maybe they can work with the GLO and VPGE. Other than just applying for money, they are trying to work with them to develop new opportunities, such as nominating people for the Diversity steering committee. It would be more beneficial to collaborate more with these groups. Pau says, traditionally the DAC has been connected with the GSC, in this case how are they planning to stay more involved with the GSC? Christine says, this is something they discussed, for them strategically they think it’s important to keep communication lines open, but this shouldn’t require them to be at all GSC meetings, there are some ways to share information such as to share minutes and events with us. Terence discusses also providing them stipends. Eduardo encourages us to provide more ideas if we have. David says he can post the minutes from their meetings on the GSC website.
ASSU / SSE Financial Manager
Meeting closed for discussions. In conclusion: The GSC has suspended rules of order and voted in favor of confirming Jelani as the nominee for the ASSU FM / SSE CEO for another year.
-Vaden updates – Isa says currently they offer 24/7 calling for crisis help, they are thinking of being moved to off-campus provider, will have info session on Feb 13, Isa will put it on GSC calendar so anyone with an opinion can come.
-Isa says, CAPS is underfunded, maybe we can do something about it? CAPS submitted a budget to the administration for more funding and it was not approved. Maybe she will bring up a GSC bill.
-Isa says, there are upcoming sessions for people to get involved in CAPS and Vaden.