Ron Albucker from Vaden / CAPS is here, director of CAPS. He wanted to inform us about upcoming changes to CAPS. CAPS and Vaden will start collaborating with a service called Protocol, which is a company that’s been around since the 90s that provides after hours mental health coverage for colleges, have about 170 colleges and universities that serve all the UC system, Columbia University, etc. They’ve been talking with them for several months, will come to campus on Monday the 13th, there are several points in time we can come and be in contact with them. The one meant for both grad/UG services is at 5:15 pm at Vaden on the 13th, which is scheduled for 1 hour. Anyone interested in learning more about this can come at that time and ask questions. There are 3 different call centers that are staffed by licensed therapists practicing in California. They can take calls after hours. Currently CAPS does their own coverage after hours, one of the things that’s been happening is that the number and complexity of calls have been increasing, and CAPS is finding it harder to handle the volume of calls. The difficulty is also that providing 24/7 coverage with a small staff is very hard, especially if they have to work regular hours too. Making this change to free up more staff during the day. This service can also handle multiple calls at the same time due to their multiple call centers. They are working closely with them to educate them about Stanford and the culture here, expectations, but want us to know that this is happening and get some of us to attend on Monday to have a direct input there. Rosie asks, she is curious about a few things relating to their staff and training, one of the challenges that we’ve been having at Stanford for a few years (more for UG but also for grads) has been about diversity of staff and being mindful of needs of ppl from diff backgrounds, especially first gen low income students who come from backgrounds that stigmatize mental health. She is wondering what special training they will have for these students, also want to know if there will be additional costs for students and how this will affect us. Ron says, there is no cost for students, this will come out of CAPS’ budget, there should be no financial impact, in terms of their training and education, currently they are covering 170 schools, they are licensed and credentialed in the states that they are operating in, he cannot answer specifically what type of training and hours they have, but we can ask them when they come on campus. More generally, Ron says that the licensing for these clinicians is that training in diversity issues is generally a part of the licensing. He also wants to comment regarding the diversity at CAPS, this is an issue they take seriously and they have a staff of approx 30 ppl, they are constantly trying to, if they get additional money, to expand and get more staff to handle diversity issues. Pau asks, does this mean that CAPS will function during normal working hours only? Ron says yes, but they are also acting as a backup to this service, so if they have a question or a student wants to talk to a dean or Stanford staff, CAPS staff will be on call to act as backup for this system. The service protocol will handle calls, which links the student to therapists directly when the phone call is answered. As backup, they also have an internal backup, and they have instructions to call Stanford if they have issues that they cannot resolve at any time. Pau says, he doesn’t know what the volume of calls is after hours, but it must be a lot. He is wondering, do they have an idea of how much more money this will cost for CAPS? Ron says it is not really about the money, CAPS has not had a significant increase in budget since 9 years ago, trying to stay creative about how they can utilize services and who they hire and what their function is. To give an example, this fall quarter that just ended, they had a 25% increase in the number of ppl calling for services compared to fall quarter the year before. They are really limited in how to respond to that, they are constantly trying to innovate and do better, but at a certain point they don’t have any more time so wait times will go up. They have made appeals for more funding but in general it is not possible to secure more funding. Kate asks, she is curious what their relationship is with iThrive and other preventative mental health services on campus. Ron says, Carol P. who is the director of iThrive meets with him regularly. CAPS also has an outreach clinician who meets with Carol. They try to integrate their efforts so they stay aware of what the other is doing. Both iThrive and CAPS are trying to make prevention a priority, there are also many student-led initiatives trying to do this, they try to integrate all their efforts. Again this is dependent on how they allocate their resources. Getting back to the diversity issue, CAPS over the last 7-8 years has increasingly been in the community, they have representation in all the community centers on campus who have space for them, they have an office at the med school, Electrical Engineering, used to have one at the GSB until they did the dorm renovation. Some of their intentions, given the recent immigration issues, they have been doing a lot of outreach with the Muslim community center on campus, they also have drop in hours at the international center. They are trying to do outreach, prevention and intervention, but they have limits on how to allocate their resources. Another thing is that they are hopefully this year still, although it has been a bit delayed, they are working with 3 diff companies that provide online behavioral health support, this is for students who either don’t want to come in, want to take tests online, they can use this completely online support. Most of these have coaching aspects to it. Isa asks, following up on that online service, which conditions would this come with? Ron says the modules they are looking at are anxiety, depression, stress, eating disorders, and social anxiety, anything from public speaking to anxiety to social phobia. All of these operate slightly differently, some are peer-to-peer coaching, some involve higher level people who are checking in with you and trying to encourage you to continue and problem solve, and one of these use CAPS therapists as coaches. They will get feedback from students regarding what works and what doesn’t. They will have an announcement ready for when this service is ready to launch, want GSC to help advertise when it happens. Rosie asks, will this new service (call service) be able to handle, for example, if someone forgets a medication refill and needs it over break, etc, and will it be streamlined? Ron says yes, there are instructions on when the call centers should contact CAPS staff and what types of situations these are. Rosie says, one of the biggest challenges is what if people forget their prescription over winter break, so this is good. Ron says, they are currently outreaching to the LGBT, African-American, Latino/a, Asian American, and other communities on campus. They have a whole group that operates around gender and sexuality issues. They probably don’t have every single thing covered, but are trying to train themselves as well as bring onboard ppl with various expertise in diff areas. They are hiring some additional staff, looking for someone who is specialist with intl students, another Asian American specialist, and also someone who has expertise in the Muslim community, these are upcoming hires they want to be in place by next academic year. Ateeq asks, they mentioned about how the budget has not increased, and now they are bringing this new service and not increasing the cost to new students, so what is being given up to add this additional cost of having this 24 hr center, what are they sacrificing? Ron says, Stanford does a “cost of living increase” (similar to it) every year. It depends on what it ends up costing them. In the short term it is not a problem for them because they have a small reserve that is part of their budget so they are tapping into their reserve as a means of funding this, this is not an issue short term, unless they have a tremendous utilization or over time this reserve will shrink so they will be in a situation where they will need to go through the budget process to request more funding, the finances is a whole issue in itself. They are also looking at other ways to fund healthcare on campus, for example utilizing more insurance and moving away from the health fee, concerned about access and any barriers for students to access care, so they are slowly going about with this but this will take place over time. Terence wants to reiterate, this upcoming Monday Feb 13 at 5:15pm at the Vaden Health Center is the meeting with this new service.
Resolution on Immigration Order
The undergrads passed it yesterday unanimously, added some more whereas clauses before they did that, it wasn’t anything particularly crazy. Specifically they wanted to clarify that faculty students staff included non-contract staff as well, as well as removed “successful” in the academic inquiry, and added a whereas clause saying that migration is a natural component of human nature. Isa motions to vote, Pau seconds. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Gaming Society:
- they are organizing a mafia tournament, they are planning this for 60 ppl, have some funding from undergrads, now asking for some money for grads for pizza dinner. Recommendation is $140 for food, in total $140. David asks how much the undergrads gave them? They submitted for 40 undergrads, which caps it at $7 per person. The event will be this Sunday. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Energy Club:
- not here.
Black Graduate Student Assoc:
- Asking for $500 for 2 events. First event is Feb 16, called Black Minds Talk, asking for $320 food and $180 alcohol, budgeting for 50 ppl but expecting more. Isa says, when their FO came, she asked if they could remove the President’s name from the event name, and also there is no RSVP link on the calendar either. They say, the RSVP link is on their flyer that they sent to the listserv but she can tell the social office to put it on the calendar. Recommendation is $320 food and $180 alcohol. Voting, passes unanimously. Second event is Happy Hour on Mar 1, requesting $500, which is all for food. This event is at Reposado off-campus, the RSVP link on the GSC link, there is also a carpool link, the budget is for 50 ppl. Recommendation is $500 for food. Isa says, she is not a fan of off-campus events and has suggested in the past that they should be approved by SAL. Thinks this would be the first time they are funding an event at a restaurant with GSC funds that they know of. David says he thinks this type of event should be fine because it’s pretty close to campus, reachable by bus, and open to all grad students. Isa says the funding guidelines at the moment do not prohibit this type of event. Rosie says, we should be careful in how we think about restricting off-campus events because this is one that is clearly being held at a business, there aren’t liability issues, she understands that Isa is concerned but wants to prevent a slippery slope in the opposite direction. Terence says it is important to note that Stanford has a larger and larger number of students who live off-campus, so it’s important to keep that in mind too. Kate says a few weeks ago there was discussion in funding a movie off-campus, is that a similar type of event? Isa says yes but there is an argument that you cannot watch some movies on campus, whereas happy hours can be held on campus. We should give priority to events that can be held on campus. Rosie says there’s something to be said for letting students escape the Stanford bubble once in a while, if we only hold events on campus then we discourage ppl from going outside and engaging with the community and happy hours are one way to do it. Terence asks if they are getting funding from any other groups. Voting on recommendation is $500, passes unanimously with 1 opposed.
Stanford Polish Student Assoc:
- Planning an event for Thursday Feb 23, like Mardi Gras for Polish ppl, typically have Polish donuts (Paczki). Planning a social event where there will be food and they will watch a Polish movie. Expecting 40-50 ppl. Asking for $234 for food and $93 for alcohol and transferring $74.04 from a previous event. It will be at Kennedy Great Room. Recommendation is $233.54 for event food, $92.42 for alcohol, and transferring $74.04 from past event. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Wine Society / Stanford Law and Wine Society:
-Joint event, doing a wine tasting for 80 ppl, beforehand a law student will talk about what an AVA (American Viticulture Association) are, these are american wine growing regions. Afterward they will have restricted tasting from different AVAs around California. They are mostly focusing on California things. Will be at Lyman atrium. Asking for $80 food and $480 for alcohol, in total $560. Isa asks if someone could check if the description say that there will be 25 spots open the day of for first come first serve? When the VP came to the committee they said they would commit to leaving 25 spots open to first come first serve. Want them to put it on the calendar. New recommendation is $640, split into $100 food and $540 alcohol. Voting on recommendation, passes unanimously.
Stanford Brazilians (were not here last week):
- Hosting a BBQ this Sat on campus for UGs and grad students, expecting 70 ppl, asking for $540 which is split into $480 event food and $45 event services and $15 for car rental. Event will be held at EV. Recommendation is as outlined before, totaling $540. Voting on recommendation, passes unanimously.
Black Biosciences Assoc (were not here last week):
- Mixer on Feb 24, celebrating diversity in the biosciences at the Black Community Services Center, hoping to have 150 ppl attend, 90 spots were reserved to Stanford grads but technically open to public, there is RSVP link on calendar description. Hope to focus on network and practices and a general mix of ppl. Asking for $420 food and $300 alcohol, in total $720. Last week 57 ppl registered from Stanford and 117 had registered in total. They also have other pools of money to draw from. Isa would like them to change the wording on the calendar to “first come first serve” instead of saying Feb 7 as the deadline. Voting, passes unanimously.
Nominations Committee Chairs
Kate and Alexandria from NomCom are here. Alexandria is a 2nd year in the law school. Was a member of NomCom when Kate was co-chair. Primary difference for them right now is that they sped up the process this year so they have a lot more time. They are currently planning things with committees, on the GSC end if anything seems necessary that NomCom needs to do, let them know. Pau says, the only thing is that we might need student feedback like through surveys and stuff, thinks NomCom is a great tool for this. Wonders if this could be a way to get feedback from NomCom for the GSC, do they get feedback from students? Alexandria says the students fill out feedback from their committees about what they did, they have info about what they did in the committees. Pau says it would be great if they can share that with us. David asks if they have problems filling committees? They say yes especially for smaller more niche committees, such as freshman parking, bicycle safety committees, judicial panels. David asks if there is a way to to put the summaries from committees online to keep track of them. Kate says they have asked about how private this communication is, so they will limit the information to ExecCom first and they can decide what is relevant to know.
Graduate Special Fees
Tianze says, he’s been thinking about how to deal with them. Luka says, the usual process for joint fees is that a group would come in and present their normal expenditures on a weekly basis for their yearly budget. The process will be very different this year because there are student groups applying as graduate special fees instead of joint fees. Having a meeting with the joint funding committee on Friday to go into how to GSC would want to set up its process. The UG Senate is almost finished with their process. Tianze says there are several big events that are yearly, maybe these can be special fees. Rosie says what about not enough ppl voting for special fees? Luka says this can motivate ppl to vote in the elections. David asks, does this mean there aren’t any more joint fees, now you apply separate to both? Luka says yes, this happened because joint groups get all or nothing in the elections, even though sometimes only grad students do not vote for it. In the past, if a student group applies under joint fees, in order to get funding they would be required to reach voting thresholds in both UG and grad populations for their populations to pass. If they split it up, even if only one group doesn’t turn out then that specific budget would be threatened. Tianze says, the next problem is how would we deal with this? Luka says joint fee groups have been consulted with about this process. Tianze says we can reach out to graduate groups who might be interested in this. Luka says we should do this as early as possible because the petition process needs to be completed something like 10 days before the election. David asks about event-based special fees, because a lot of events such as Fire on Fire is held jointly by 7-8 groups. Luka says this doesn’t really happen, usually if they want to do that then they just pool their general fees resources. Undergrads usually won’t approve VSOs who have more than 5% increase of their annual budget, and won’t approve an increase in the total fee by more than 5%. For the undergrads, their appropriations committee does the majority of the work and then submits the work to the entire legislative body. It is likely that grad students will have 10+ graduate special fees this year. David says [regarding funding limits relating to guidelines]. Luka says the undergrads already have a document on how they evaluate the funding applications during the process. He will forward the document to the GSC. The list of student groups likely to apply for this include Viennese Ball, Stanford Outdoors, Cardinal Free Clinics, etc. More updates next week.
Valentine’s Day party on Friday at Rains. Please send invites out to lists. Need more volunteers. De-stress day is next. Grad formal May 5.
- Kate and Pau started office hours this Tuesday. Think we need a flyer for advertising the GSC. Kate says we need to think about what the GSC means to us, what is important aspect of the GSC, and any other comments we have. Having office hours might help. Pau says the redesign for the website can be helped by the ASSU webmaster / designer, maybe we can work with them.
- Miguel says, revisiting the idea about the karaoke app account, after doing research the best option is Karafun, monthly subscription ($9.99 / month), also a karaoke gift card which we can do 1 purchase for 12 months for $119.98. How it could work is that, as the equipment master, he could change the password for different student groups so that they could use it.