- Pau went to meeting on Monday with elections commissioner who proposed a meet and greet with GSC candidates. Will be soon, week before the elections. Ballots open on Apr 13, run till Apr 14, and results are released Apr 15.
- Pau met with library person who deals with archives and they are willing to store as much as info as we want. They also have all the old ASSU documents. We can upload e-documents to their Box account, and can pick up any physical copies of documents.
- Pau says UGS has started transitioning efforts already. Wants to talk more about GSC transition stuff later.
Gabby Social Updates
Working on grad formal, getting food/drinks/floor plan/security/procedures at the Alumni Center/ license/ working with SAL ppl and OAPE to get the event all squared out. It’s May 5 at Alumni Center. Can’t sell tickets before we get the license. Want to start ticket sales on Apr 5. Want to do early birds at that time. Other event is dog de-stress day in June before the end of the quarter. Also the social chair position is weird since it is not tied to any GSC. People have asked Gabby if she can do 4th of July BBQ, she would like to do it at alumni center because can see fireworks there. We will use their caterer for BBQ but want to ask if they can have popcorn or cotton candy machine. Isa says the alumni center BBQ area is in a slightly small space. Gabby says it can fit 500 ppl, it’s hard to have it anywhere else because facilities are there and she does not have enough ppl helping with events otherwise. Budget will come out of the next year’s budget because it’s after end of fiscal year in June.
Bill to ensure long term financial viability of the GSC
Able to be voted on this week. Propose raising grad fee by $5 per quarter as discussed last week, since current mechanism is drawing down our reserves. But in order to keep our support for VSOs at current levels we have to raise the grad fees. Gabby says we should cite the article and research that Trevor did last year as a support for the bill. David motions to vote, Jennie seconds. Voting, bill passes unanimously.
Joint Bill to seek comments to divest ASSU funds from fossil fuels
They were here last week. This bill looks into the issue of divesting the ASSU endowment (17-18 million dollars) from fossil fuels. It’s a moderate bill that seeks to get comment and get institutional knowledge and information about the issue. Also to get comments from the community, and the financial professionals and other ppl who have a good working of the SSE (SSE board, financial manager, etc). Apparently the UGS amended the bill to allow anonymous comments. The comment process now is set up so that it requires a Stanford email to get onto the comment form, but you can submit a comment without your name being public. Shanta will ensure confidentiality of the process for people who don’t want to publicly sign. Shanta says the the UGS voted unanimously for this yesterday. She brought concerns last week about ppl having ways to provide comments. To ensure that students are constituents, anyone can direct comment to the mychair email or this form and it will collect their SUNet ID, and it will be keep confidential in the form, and any comments will be disassociated from people’s IDs. Isa asks will this be a Google form? Shanta says yes. Isa says that she has created a Google form before, and a lot of grad students have problems connecting to their Google-Stanford ID. It’s not very intuitive for grad students. She wants it to be easier to get grad students to access the form. Someone suggests that we use Qualtrics instead? It can be set up to require a SUNet ID to login first. Jennie motions to vote, Isa seconds. The bill passes unanimously.
Stanford Queer Woman:
- Friday Mar 17 hosting Open Dyke night, this has been going on for 2 years now, expecting around 40-60 grad students in the women’s center, 7:30pm, will have food and snacks etc. Requesting $181 food $19 services. Will also have signups for ppl to go up and talk. Anyone can come. Recommendation is $181 food and $19 event services, in total $200. Voting, passes unanimously.
Russian Student Assoc:
- Event this Sat, Intl Women’s Day Celebration at the EV village center, requesting $250 food $125 alcohol and $70 event services. Recommendation is $250 food $70 event services and $125 alcohol, where half of the event service budget is for flowers. Voting, passes unanimously.
American Society for Engineering Education:
- not here.
Stanford India Association:
- Mar 17 at 9pm at Old Union they are having a Bollywood Bash. Everyone is invited. Requesting $755 in total. Recommendation is $315 food, $90 event services, $350 alcohol. Isa asks if they can add hashtags to the calendar event. Isa wants to make sure that they have wrist bands for the event. Tianze says in case they need audio equipment they can borrow from us. Voting on $755, passes unanimously.
- 3 events. First event is this Friday, requesting $100 event services, they are supporting the Civic Action fair which is going to be at White and LKSC plazas. The $100 is for tables, they are chipping in to help that. The next events are budget modifications, one is $200 to be transitioned into a study break on Mar 19, make your own dumpling study break co-sponsored by a student buddhist organization. This will be a fun event before the end of the quarter. There’s also a game night planned for next Thursday, requesting $75 snacks and $25 drinks for that. Recommendation is $100 event services for Civic Action fair, budget modification of $200 food for dumpling event, and budget modification of $75 food and $25 alcohol for the games night. Voting on all events as a block. Voting on the recommendations, passes unanimously.
Office of Sustainability and Management Staff
Sara Catherine is here from the OS. Part of her job at sustainability coordinator is to engage with diff student groups at Stanford. A lot of times that means UG but also trying to build connections with grad students as well. They have a couple upcoming initiatives that might be of interest to grad students. OS runs several campaigns related to energy/waste management etc. Annual Earth Day festival is on 4/20, wants us to put it on our calendars. It’s a campus-wide festivals, free food, more information can be found online. Another program is the Stanford Sustainable Internship program, recruiting for the next academic year. If people are interested in being employed in sustainability/ energy conservation fields, these will start being recruited for next month, usually with dining services. Isa says, if Sara can post events to the GSC calendar, that might be one way of publicizing sustainable events, there’s also an email that goes out every month composed by the GLO office so if she sends an email to Ken Hsu or other ppl in GLO they can help with that. David asks about the results of a pilot program that offers incentives for completing sustainable objectives. Sara says what he’s referring to is probably “My Cardinal Green” which will launch next month, which is an online platform where there are financial incentives for completing actions online. This is launching next month. Be Well wellness fair is also happening next Wednesday Mar 15 outside the Ford Center.
Bill to Confirm GSC DAC (Diversity Advocacy Committee)
This bill solidifies the DAC in the organizational hierarchy of the GSC. Also provides stipends to the officer positions. This was also discussed last year but didn’t survive the transition. Isa motions to vote, Jennie seconds. Voting on the bill, passes unanimously.
Frost Funding Bill
They were here last year. They are asking for $12k from the GSC to fund Frost. Allocation would be $3k to marketing and $9k to subsidize student tickets, doing things around the festival. If they look at the grad student body, ticket fees which are usually $47 which becomes close to $60 after fees, after subsidies it would be $26 per grad student. This is about $30 subsidy per grad student. Rosie asks if there are fees on the student ticket, they say no. They expect more grad students to come because they will advertise to grad students more. They didn’t have a specific grad student marketing spending last year, and this year they will try to spend $3000 on graduate students, try and target influencers, social media ads, online marketing, so they have diff ppl within the grad school community who they are working with. A quarter of their budget is coming from ASSU annual grants, half of their budget is rollover from last year, and the rest from fundraising etc. This year total number (including contingency spending) is about $550k, including a $70k contingency fee that’s mandated by ASSU. Increased cost from the stage and permit is $110k increase from last year, $30k for turf protection, and other facility fees. In total increased cost is about $170k. They are rolling over about $244k from last year for the costs, and the UGS is contributing around $130k towards the event. They get around 4000 undergrads at the music festival. The location move was due to the Bing expansion project, Terence asks if they have tried asking them to help out with this. They say no because all of their advisors have advised them not to contact Bing who is contributing the funds for this expansion. 2 years later there will be the facility upgrade and it will be moved back to the original location, and will be a lot better. Any money that is given to SCN to run Frost this year will be used to run this year’s Frost, and any revenue that is generated from this year’s festival will only be used to pay for next year’s Frost festival. Jennie is concerned about the graduate targeted marketing because we’ve been paying this amount in the past as well and it does not seem to have been very effective. They say to avoid this same problem this year they are happy to put in place actual measures to make the specifics of the marketing plan this year. This year they have an online marketing manager who will increase the avenues of marketing for the event this year. They say in the past they have not been very attentive to marketing. Jennie says she realizes it’s not their fault but just for them to keep in mind that this is the history of the event. Rosie asks how will the $3k that they are asking for marketing for be used to solve these barriers that are currently there to outreach to grad students. Terence motions to vote on the bill, Jennie seconds. The bill passes unanimously.
- David asks about the number of GSC candidates applying this year. There are 22 this year!
- Transition stuff: Terence says we should start putting stuff about our roles into documents to give more framework for ppl coming in. Thinks we need more transition documents. Pau says each officer should teach the next one about what their roles entail. Right now it’s still a work in progress. Terence says to highlight everything, by 3/29 if ppl could send the Chairs a document spelling out what they did this year and a summation/recommendation for next year, that would be great. The other thing is for all members to write down 3 things that they think the GSC is doing well, and 3 things that could be improved on. There is a lot of power in this body and we should think about how we can improve our impact. Isa suggests we can do the work at a retreat meeting. Pau also says the UGS does a lot of workshops such as 501c3, requirements, etc etc, that grad students don’t have. Maybe we could think about doing them.
- Thinking about Pampas retreat on Sunday night at 6. Plus ones will be eligible people who have volunteered 2 or more hours at the GSC.
- David says that there was a student who was dissatisfied that some VSO events did not have vegetarian food options. David says that a possible solution is to add something in the funding guidelines for this. Isa says she agrees, she’s never thought to ask VSOs about this but this should be the case. We could ask groups about what types of food they will be serving. We could start with vegetarian as a requirement. Sean warns that it could be more expensive, Isa says maybe not because veggie options should be cheaper.
- Rosie wants access to GSC media accounts
- Rosie also wants to know about VSO funding accounts and how much money we still have in there.
- Grant says for the tax session, they had a request for a live stream for grad students who are living off campus. He has no experience with this before, so wants guidance on this. David says he remembers that the previous ones have been recorded. Isa says that the international ones in the past have been recorded but not the domestic ones. But she suggests that Facebook Live could be used maybe.
- Isa says she saw that there was a proposal to create a branch of the ASSU to deal with media-related issues. Isa believes that it should be a joint bill because it deals with the ASSU constitution. Looks like the bill did not pass.
- Regarding the GSC logo – Pau says he has worked with Jelani and the ASSU graphics designer and next week they should come back with something new.
- Survey construction and collaboration with VPGE and updates on that.