- Chris Griffiths says that the current chair of Office of Community Standards is leaving and they are looking for another candidate, need a grad student to serve on the search committee. Will probably go through NomCom approach, but let GSC chairs know if they are interested in this. They want this happening very soon (early spring quarter) so submit that ASAP. Isa asks what they do, David says they enforce the rules for Honor Code and Fundamental Standards at Stanford.
- Pau says tomorrow the archivist is coming to pick up the box of documents from the GSC office. This is an opportunity for the new GSC to know that all the history of the GSC and ASSU is at the library and can be consulted when needed. There are both physical and digital documents stored there.
- Regarding the GSC transition, Pau will meet with Jelani (from SSE) and Mylan Gray (from UGS) to create the procedures for the transition, which is very undergrad heavy but there are parts of it relevant to the next GSC too (like financial stuff). Pau wants to make this transition useful for the new GSC members.
- Kate and Pau had office hours on Tuesday, still working on logo. Kristin from the DAC offered to help with the logo. Pau would love to have new logo before new GSC comes in.
Gabby still working on grad formal. Over some of the big things, working on some little things like DJ, photobooth, garbage cans, etc. Ticket price still uncertain because need the bill from event services first, we usually recover 30k/80k that we spend on it. We’ll probably do early bird 1 week then to regular price, maybe 30/35/40 like last year? If anyone can’t come because of the $ they can always volunteer, since all volunteers are free depending on what they are doing. This is the same caterer as last year at the same venue, but different menu.
Funding Guidelines Discussion
Isa presents the proposed changes to the funding guidelines. Here are the changes.
- How VSOs should advertise events: in previous guidelines there were out of date contents such as the grad-events calendar, replaced it with the GSC calendar. Now require VSOs to put their events on GSC calendar 2 weeks before of time, we think this will help them advertise their events better.
- Requirements on vegetarian food
- Soft cap calculation. In past, soft cap is based on $30 x (average attendance) for past physical year. Now it is different.
- Off-campus events must be approved by SAL first before they get funding.
- Community service groups and events: make definition clear, based on CardinalSync data. Also added requirement that community VSO must submit report at end of the year describing what they have done in that year. Main reason for this is that on previous guidelines, community VSOs were not subjected to soft caps, so they can just ask $6k from us, so we want to put more oversight on that in case they are using the money for something else.
- Ticketed events: must preserve at least 50% of seats when they attend funding committee meeting, find a way to verify that by using Google forms to RSVP and allowing GSC to monitor the progress of their ticketing, so we can guarantee that there are still 50% seats available on their RSVP when they come to us.
- Put caps on fundraising events, which Kali seems to disagree with. Isa says last year we capped “multi-VSO” events so a coalition cannot come over and over again. This year we made sure that hard cap would not affect big events with lots of groups, and we will make sure that is true here too. For example the Chili cookoff and Pie Day events would be still funded by the GSC. The thing with fundraising is that the target population that VSOs will be raising money from is grad students, and GSC funds are grad student money, so grad students would be doubly contributing to the VSO’s request for funding. When we fund an event for fundraising we are not benefiting all the attendees of the event, only the people who are doing the fundraising, so having grad students attend would be double charging the attendees (they pay from their fees and from the event fee). Right now we have a big loophole because we could have a large fundraising event where essentially it is like the money moving from GSC funds to their 2800 accounts. Kate asks is fundraising for their own group or for charity? Isa says both. Kate says in the case for charity, maybe she just wants to donate to the charity. Donating to a cause vs. paying a fee for a service is different. David asks what events this would have affected? Isa says Chili Cookoff and Nepal Cookoff. She has audited events where it might be possible for VSOs to sell the services that they get from the GSC. We should have measures in place to deal with this. Isa says that the point of the restrictions is just to provide a box that groups can work within, we could always vote to give them money beyond the box if we deem it necessary, but this just lets them think about how to work within the limits. Jennie asks about the $1000/yr fiscal cap rather than the per event cap, since more than half of the events we approve probably is more than $500, what if there was a larger event, you want students to be creative but you don’t want to limit them.
VSO Funding Requests
Stanford Alpine Project
- They will have an all-you-can-eat-pie party on Friday, ppl will come and make pies and they can enter as a sweet/savory/most creative pie. It is at 5:30pm at Hartley in the Mitchell building. 100 ppl expected to attend, 90% grad students, $400 requested for food and $50 event services. Recommendation is $400 food and $50 event services, in total $450. It’s $6 to attend but if you bake a pie you can be reimbursed up to $20 for your pie and ticket is free. There will be an award given to the winners too. Isa asks what they are raising funds for? They say their trip which will be in 2018, destination will be down to a vote. Terence asks if they can add more details in the event description because right now it just says “fundraiser”. Terence asks how much they usually raise at these events, Shanna says it’s probably not much but these are just token events to spread the event about SAP. Voting on $450 recommendation, passes unanimously.
Stanford Hellenic Students Assoc:
- Planning 2 events. One is Saturday Apr 15 at midnight, the other is Sunday Apr 16. These are Easter events. The first event is after church, they come back here after evening and have a traditional soup. Expecting around 150 ppl at the BBQ event at EV. For saturday event they expect around 50 ppl. They asked for $700 food for the first event and $1200 food and $75 event services for the second event. Recommendations are the same as presented. David asks where they are getting the soup from, they say they are making it, along with other food. Kate asks what other types of food there will be. They say the soup is lamb, and the other food is other meat, will also have salads and cheese pies etc. They will make sure there will be vegetarian food at both events. Voting on recommendation for both events, passes unanimously.
Persian Students Assoc:
- New year’s celebration event will be Sunday night Mar 19 from 9pm-4am at Bechtel, they will serve food (with vegetarian options too). On the calendar and open to the public. They had leftover funds from previous events so they had a budget modification request, requesting $950 food and a transfer of $100 into event services. Expected 140 ppl. Voting, passes unanimously.
Turkish Students Assoc:
- Spring quarter meeting event on Apr 5, expecting around 80 ppl, 80% will be grad students, this is just a gathering for fun. It is at 6:30pm in the Havana room. They haven’t requested it but they are planning to reserve Havana room and update the GSC calendar. Asking for $760 food and $40 event services, including $10 zipcar. The total amount they are asking for is $800 but we can recommend $200 because they are at their soft cap, which is around $2200. This is also the reason Tianze wants to make the funding guidelines public and have SSE add it to VSO financial officer orientation. Tianze says the current way to calculate the soft cap is that it updates throughout the year so it doesn’t make sense that the soft cap changes throughout the year. Voting on recommendation of $200 first. Passes unanimously. Jennie motions, David seconds, to fund them an additional $600 to fund the event, passes unanimously.
Terence says we have 3 more meetings as a council. An item that is coming up is the ASSU budget for the next year. Another thing is the funding committee which we can continue to discuss. Other transition stuff include officer roles. Pau will give out more info about how to do a good transition this year. The next GSC can start off with a running start. At the next meeting we can do something else.
Diversity Advocacy Committee Update
Kristin (DAC co-chair) is here. Pau and her are both on ExecCom, and they’ve both noticed things about the structure of the ASSU that they think are not very beneficial for graduate students. Right now the ASSU is supposed to represent both UG and grads, but because of the way that the ASSU is structured and the level of grad participation, most of the voices in ASSU is undergraduate-run. Much of their representation is focused on UG issues to the detriment of the graduate body. They have been brainstorming ways to improve grad representation at the ASSU. Pau suggested a structural change to the ASSU which would be a graduate / UG position in the execs. Kristin met with the current president/VP to talk about this problem, to see how they can achieve better grad representation, and based on her conversations with them, in the long-term the structural things would probably need to change, in the short term there are GSC issues that should probably be rectified. One thing would be more information surrounding the elections. Most grad students are not even aware that they can run for these positions. Thinks that there are things that the GSC could do to amplify the messaging for grad students. Even though for most grad students this would not be interesting for them, there are probably still grad students who would find it interesting. She also recommended that there be a strong statement from the GSC to the ASSU regarding the nature of representation of the grad students. Kristin got a commitment from the current execs that this is an important issue and something that the incoming leadership should think about, and have the next ppl think about re-implementing this role, so that the ASSU is communicating to all the interest groups within the graduate body. Kristin is hoping for a commitment within the GSC to investigate the current structure of the GSC and investigate if it could better reach out to grad students who might be interested in running. Also a commitment from the GSC to encourage the next council to think strategically and long-term about the way grad student representation is structured at the university. It’s telling that most of the ASSU’s mandate has nothing to do with housing or mental health or relationship violence, which are all graduate student issues that should be taken up by the ASSU since they are supposed to represent grad students too. Sean wants to push back a little, agrees that housing is lacking yes, but execs have been pushing CAPS and sexual assault issues, it’s more that the administration is not willing to change on those. Sean think there is a lot of outreach that needs to be done to grad students, because resources exist on campus. The execs are pushing for the undergrads so more attention would be put on the UGs but the GSC should also push these issues too. Terence says being a co-chair helped him understand the dynamics of the ASSU and it would be very powerful if we could get that change, but right now it is hard enough to get grad students to put time into the GSC. Jennie says that when the calls go out for cabinet applications for the new execs, would be nice if we pushed grad students to serve on the cabinets, because she was the only grad students who served on the exec cabinet a few years ago. Gabby says there will be always differences between how UGs and grads interact with the university, for examples undergrads don’t have faculty advisors in the same way. Terence says that how the GSC interacts with the student body is its most important role. Pau says even if the GSC is a lot stronger, he doesn’t see tons of grad students running for it.
- Discussion about graduate funding sources with Sean.
- David says we should get VSO groups to advertise the elections to their members
- Grant gives updates on tax workshop. It was good event, good attendance (20-30 ppl attended), one thing he considered is that taxes is only 1 component of a healthy financial life, maybe we can have some kind of survey about what other kinds of financial topics that ppl are interested in. Isa says maybe changing name to “financial literacy coordinator”. He wants to talk about putting together a survey for this.
- David will plan a GSC survey workshop this weekend.
- Gabby has stuff for us.
- Pau talks about replacement chairs that they want for the GCC, which is really expensive and not really good… this is still in development.