- Grad announce coming up, get stuff you want in there to Terence.
- ASSU Elections are coming up, we’ll talk more about transition stuff later.
Gabby has been working on grad formal. Finished the floor plan and caterer and event services. Will have 3 bars, one outside by the fountain, one at far end of dance hall, one to the right as you enter. The DJ and photographer are both booked. She’s working on the city theme and will get alcohol license on Friday. Got clearance from SAL and dept of safety, sheriffs have no objections to event. She did event walk throughs with everybody at alumni center and caterer and event services. She is working out red wine issues with the alumni center staff but thinks there might be some confusion. Wants to start publicizing after we get SAL approval for the event online. David asks if we can have a fog machine, Gabby says no we aren’t allowed to do that. Kate thanks Gabby for her work, and asks how long it took her to learn that. Gabby says she’s done event planning before she got here, and this is her second year doing it here. Kate asks would it benefit her to bring ppl under her wing to start learning.
Stanford Digital Shapers:
- They are a new group who runs workshops to increase awareness of digital issues such as privacy etc which comes up with new developments of technologies. First workshop is about smart cities on Apr 17, requesting $100 for snacks. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford Youth Cultural Exchange Intiiative:
- Hosting a diversity dinner next Wednesday Apr 12, the idea is that grad students and high school students can come together to share what diversity means (academic, cultural, etc). Providing a platform for this discussion, at the end of the event will ask the participants to come together with ideas on how to serve the local community. The recommendation is $380 food and $14 event services, total is $394. Isa says this event seems to fall within Diversity Month, and this will also take place in the Old Union where the diversity office is located. She also says she has gone to Diversity month events and they usually have a lot of resources there like experienced people, and wonders if they reached out to the D.Gen office. They said yes but they haven’t gotten a reply yet, but they have a drop in office hours tomorrow and wants to go to talk to them to see what suggestions they have. Terence says something to be aware of is that DAC and these resources also exist. They say that this event is geared towards people from all sorts of multicultural background, for example what does women’s rights look like in your country, or LGBT rights in your country, rather than stories on a more personal level. They have an RSVP link on the event. Isa says that they should make sure that they are a welcoming environment for all grad students, asks how many spots are open on the RSVP link right now. They say there are 12 spots right now. Isa says for them to put the RSVP details clearly on the calendar. Voting, passes unanimously.
Stanford African Entrepreneurs Network
- Networking dinner on Thursday Apr 6 from 5:30 – 9. Aim is to connect Bay Area professionals with students on campus, regarding entrepreneurship in Africa. They opened spaces to about 150-160 ppl on eventbrite, right now have about 120 current students signed up, and 80 of them are grad students and rest are undergrads, rest of the field are professionals for ppl who work in the Bay Area. They requested $600 for alcohol, they also collaborated with other groups who are providing the rest of the money. The event is at Bechtel who is also providing some money. Isa says the event’s date is showing up as Thursday on the calendar and the eventbrite and the flyer too. Recommendation is $600 for alcohol. Voting on recommendation, passes unanimously.
Student National Medical Assoc:
- Event on Friday being hosted by SNMA in collaboration with BGSA. Admits will be coming this weekend to see Stanford and they want to give admits a chance to see what it is like being a black medical student at Stanford. The funding they applied for is for grad students and not admits, which is 50 ppl, and that’s for dinner and alcohol. Recommendation is $500 food and $200 alcohol, in total $700. Voting, passes unanimously.
ASHA for Education:
- They support NGOs that work in education sector in India. They are having a fundraising event this quarter, Holi. Want funding from GSC, requesting almost $10k in total which is above the funding cap, but this is a community service event and most of the funds will be going to NGOs and the rest will go towards next year’s Holi so they are hoping to get funding above the cap. Another thing is the part of the funding is janitorial services which they now have a quote for. They asked for public safety and security personnel costs, janitorial services, fencing, etc. The recommendation is $6k because they are over their hard cap. Isa says from historical purposes we have funded this event before but around $5.6k only. Isa says the hard cap is in place so VSOs are creative and work inside the box and it is very rarely waived. The additional money should come out of the amount they fund-raised from the event. It’s not that they require the money to put on the event, it’s just so they can increase their fundraising. Terence asks if they got funding from any other sources, they said yes they are getting $6k from ASSU as well that they know of. They say student prices are $9 and general tickets are $25 and that’s where they get most of the money from. Last year they raised around $230k from the event and are aiming for $200k this year. Tianze asks what line items did they ask for from the undergraduates. They say they can check. Isa suggests special fees next year if they want to. Terence says that if they collaborate with another group they could also get more money next year. Recommendation from the funding committee is $6k. Voting on the recommendation, passes unanimously. There are no additional motions to vote on additional budget items.
Joint Bill to Amend the Process of Petitioning in Ballot
Shanta is here. The UGS realized last night that Constitutional amends must be voted on by both bodies. The Senate passed this bill last night to put a constitutional amendment on the ballot, and they are hoping that we could pass it tonight and just defer to the work that the UGS has already done on this. This bill only affects the UGS voting process and does not require any grad student votes at all. The text of the amendment must be available a week before the election which is next week. There are 3 pretty small changes to the Constitution. First addition is to say that “any accounts funded by student fees will not receive funding for prohibited items”, second is “any accounts funded by student fees should not be used for salaries of the Association”, last change is “through petitions process, make sure that when groups petition they cannot petition for amounts that were not originally requested”, which will protect the Annual Grants petitioning process. Isa asks why shouldn’t grad students vote on this? Shanta says this only affects funding process for undergrads, and because of that there is precedence that undergrads vote on issues that pertain to them. Annual grants are only voted on by undergrads, while grad students have special fees. The rules on special fees and annual grants are different. Isa says then technically grad student special fee groups can get salaries, for example? Jelani says even if they get the funding, the funds won’t be transferred from the side of the SSE. The Constitutional Council case was about the Annual grants, so technically only applies to the Annual grants and not the special fees. Jennie motions to suspend rules of order, Terence seconds. This passes unanimously. Now we vote on the bill, passes unanimously. Rules are reinstated.
Bill to Modify Funding Committee Guidelines
Tianze says maybe we should just go through the major changes and ignore the minor changes. We are voting on the major changes one by one. Tianze and Kali wants to include the GSC funding guidelines into the SSE FO training sessions, Jelani says they are working to embed that in there.
No major changes in sec. 1
Section 2: Voting on sec. 2 modifications, passes unanimously.
- Kate suggests that we have it that they post the event on the grad calendar before they come to the funding meeting, and the funding meeting needs to be 2 weeks before the event. The GSC agrees on this new suggestion that Kate made.
- Removed the part about “grad-events” email.
- Added language about having funding meetings on gsc-calendar no later than Thursday 1 week before the funding meeting.
Section 3B: Voting, passes unanimously.
- Added language that off-campus events must be approved by SAL by the Monday before they come to the GSC funding meeting in order to get GSC funding.
- Removed “courses for credit”
- Added that we will not give funding related to thesis dry runs, thesis defenses, or other degree requirements, etc
Section 3D (Community service groups): Voting on Sec 3D, passes unanimously.
- Added definition of community service groups: registered with SAL as community service groups.
- Added STRONG RECOMMENDATION for community service groups to submit 1 page annual report on their events by the end of the ACADEMIC year. The auditor will contact them with the report template. (This is so we can have some accountability and know what they are doing every year. Jelani suggests maybe we look at the SAL year-end summary)
- Added that comm service groups must post all their recruiting events on the GSC calendar
Section 3E (Ticketed events): Motion, passes unanimously.
- Added that 50% of tickets should still be available when they come to funding committee meeting (sometimes events come and they’ve already sold out of tickets).
- Added method to verify RSVP requirements (on events that are requiring RSVP in order to attend the event) by adding auditor to the forms that they are using for RSVP.
- Added that VSOs must have alternate sources of funding or charge ticket prices if over $30 per grad student.
- Added that all money received for events that are selling tickets must be used to subsidize grad student tickets.
Section 3G (Fundraising events): Vote, passes unanimously with 1 opposed and 1 abstention.
- Added that only fundraisers with a clearly stated goal will be funded
- If we have decided that this event will be funded, if a VSO wants to have internal fundraising events (not for a charity) then they are capped at $500 per event /$1k per year.
- Added that all other caps apply
- Community VSOs are exempt but that the VSO soft cap still applies
Section 3H (Advertising): Vote, passes unanimously with 1 abstention
- Added that this category explicitly includes stuff that is solely intended for the advertising of the VSO.
- GSC calendar
Section 3I : Voting, passes unanimously.
- Added line that honoraria can be sought out from the speakers Bureau
Section 3J: Voting, passes unanimously.
- Extremely reduce all the recommendation caps for food if they did not come in with a quote, or use the old numbers-1 if they have a quote for food.
- If the events exceed $500 in total they need a quote or an itemized shopping list.
- Added language about vegetarian options
End conversation about this, returning next week.
Terence sent out a link for transition of officer roles. The outgoing GSC and incoming GSC will have a joint meeting. Pau is forwarding out a schedule for that. Apr 19 is the day that the GSC members are sworn in and the next week are the official transition meeting. Kali says everything who received officer salary will need to fill out paperwork. Secondly for elections, which is next Thursday and Friday, Kali has idea to increase grad student votes by using 2 booths where we were giving out bubble tea or a promotion if they open the website and vote on the election. We could have one at Tresidder and one near Li Ka Shing. Isa suggests getting Naked Juice instead. Kali suggests iPads or laptops from Lathrop. Terence and Pau agrees that Gabby can help with the event. The budget is $4k.
- Pau sent out the transition timeline schedule. Thinks it will be great for the next GSC to have this as a resource.
- Isa talks about some SSE reimbursement concerns regarding some groups.
- Pau says he had meeting with housing recently. Offered the possibility of the GSC writing a letter asking for more funding for increasing the number of off-campus subsidized housing units, so that housing is not an issue for good mental health of the graduate students, and improving the Stanford experience for grad students.
- David says we are having work retreat on Saturday again.