The Agenda will be available soon.
Voting members present:
Engineering: Robert Hennessy
Engineering: Addy Satija
Earth Sciences: Mary Van der Hoven (proxy Amy Askin)
Medicine: Jessica Tsai
Social Sciences: Nanna Notthoff (proxy Etosha Cave)
Natural Sciences: Bryan Chen
Law: Eric Osborne
At Large: Justin Brown
At Large: Ryan Peacock
At Large: Aleksandra Korolova
At Large: Drew Kennedy
Adam Beberg (Emergency Secretary)
David Gobaud (ASSU Chair)
Matt McLaughlin (SSE)
Jasmina Bojic (UNAFF)
Heidi Lubin (Families rep)
Ken Hsu (Stanford)
Chris Griffith (Stanford)
Voting Members Not Present:
Education: Eric Shed
Humanities: Ugur Pece
At Large: Noa Lincoln
Listen to this segment
0) Previous Minutes approved (done in new business)
1) 6:15 FOOD (thanks Drew!)
2) 6:30 Welcome with introductions and Announcements (Eric)
i. Please be aware that all meetings are audio recorded and will be made
available on the GSC website.
ii. Approve minutes from the last meeting (07/29/2009).
iii. Reminder of GSC Bulletin due August 14.
3) 6:35 ASSU Update (David)
How to get students in the budget process before it’s finalized.
4) 6:40 Programming Update (Jess)
5) 6:45 GSPB (Chris Griffith & Ken Hsu)
Ken: Budget used to be on soft money, and it was cut in April ’09. After
lots of advocacy at all levels, it was partially restored.
Chris: GSPB was established as a university entity during the centennial
housing crisis to bring off campus students back into the community.
Seed money from a grant from the Bing’s, then university funded.
Ken: Part of GLO, has it’s own board. Now the issue is where the money
goes and who controls it. Does it have to flow through GLO? Planning for
next year has started.
Eric: What was the funding and what is the plan now?
Chris: Used to be $75k funded through GLO, new student programs
partially funded this once GPSB was created. Presidents reception 12k,
and GOALIE 13k were funded. Staff, training, and planning, ~$10k. LEft
with $40k for GSPB programming.
Etosha: What is the state of the accounts now?
Chris: Separate accounts under GLO.
Eric: Where is the money for new student orientation coming from?
Ken: Salaries and presidents dinner are the only thing funded so far,
cutting or cutting back many events, deep cuts.
Drew: What are these salaries in GLO?
Ken: Professional staff, GSPB co-chairs are only ones paid. Orientation
Justin: Summer welcome positions? (grad info center)
Ken: No, from separate place. Part of operating budget. 3 students in
Chris: Most things are in the base budget, not soft money.
Ken: CAs are also paid, this program got bigger this year and raises.
Addy: Concern that GSPB is like off campus CAs, so off campus funding
cut but on campus increases.
Ken: Hard to justify with so many students off campus.
Chris: Possible collaboration with GSC may help with this. But more cuts
are coming in student affairs, so that community needs outreach.
Ryan: We do fund for $10k/yr this year.
Chris: What prompted this?
Justin: Money was often put back and forth, so we netted it out.
Ken: Helpful that there is so much crossover on GSC/GSPB. P-CARDS.
Eric: Is the mix of the funding sources the cause of the problems?
Chris: No some people don’t take credit cards, etc.
Robert: CCs are still glitchy. University can take ages.
Justin: Costco doesnt take Visa.
Chris: Slow is bad. Cancelled due to receipts and other paperwork.
Eric: Why cannot we put the money under ASSU?
Matt: Accounting standards and other issues, separate legal entity,
separate rules for things like dinners, etc. But money from university
come with messy bits, and ASSU would have to do it all.
Ryan: If we get over the CC things, 3 months is too long, this has to be
faster, that is the big problem.
Chris: University running this gives Stanford street cred. Unwilling to
give money, when she will be accountable. We can fix the problems, petty
cash, P-CARD etc.
Ken: More to streamline and check in on things during GSPB meetings.
Eric: Who does this?
Ken: Travel and Reimbursement.
Eric: Is there any hope to streamline this?
Matt: Not so much.
Chris: Committed to being good stewards. We are trying to make this
easier on students having to not put down money.
Ryan: Increase the clarity about this money. Process of getting the
money was clouded by lack of information. We need ot know exactly what
happens with the money.
Chris: GSC went to provost, in the future coordinate better.
Ken: We didn’t know what GSC was doing, work together.
Amy: Can you tell us what the funding is for GOALIE?
Ken: About half of the past, under 9k for food.
Eric: Can we use off campus labor?
Amy: Presidents reception funding?
Ken: Down to lemonade and cookies, not a meal.
Etosha: Presidents dinner and GOALIE are OK?
6) 7:15 UNAFF Funding Request (Addy)
Group: Linked to Stanford Film Festival, an undergrad special fee.
Request: $3,000 for events directed at grads and families. For
(much discussion, mostly all at once)
Amount: $1,500, contingent on publicity report from the hired person.
Funding Source: GSC programming discretionary.
Vote: Passed by consensus.
7) 7:20 NGSO Events (Eric & Amy Askin)
GSC is doing a brunch again. More ideas needed. Should GSC sponsor Speed
Friending food? GOALIE total funding is $17k/yr, out of NGSO budget.
(later in meeting)
How to spend the 6k? Issue is how money is split among events.
Speed Friending 1000
Grad night 0.
8) 7:30 Voting – Use of Abstentions and Conflicts of Interest (Robert)
- This week, talk, next week prior notice, vote sept 2nd.
- Changes reflect status quo.
- Define majority.
- Abstain only in conflicts, and are not NO votes.
- Ties are fails, could be broken by VP of ASSU.
Ryan: Abstaining rules?
Robert: used to handle by having to say why you abstain.
9) 7:45 Proxy Appointments (Eric)
- Changes to appointment/replacement policy – not by
- Proxy changes, more enforced. Have to email chair and secretary.
- Chair notifies GSC, and GSC could override.
- Max miss 3 meetings in 3 months.
Ryan: Is suspension serious?
Ryan: Leave is approved?
Yes by chair, but can be overruled.
Ryan: Vacancies of district automatic?
Adam: Plans to allow for law/biz during summer, and temporary appointments.
10) 7:55 Use of GSC Members List (Justin)
Big list! Use with care. No ranting.
Justin: Propose a smaller private list.
Adam: Having a private list is not having things in public.
Justin: Not business, but smaller.
Ryan: Do we want a smaller list?
Adam: You want a gsc-discuss list, higher traffic informal list.
Result – Adam has made the gsc-discuss mailing list, pending approval.
11) 8:00 Open GSC Officer Positions (Justin)
Issue – Vacancies filled during the summer or not?
Robert: proposed change is to do exhaustive ballot.
Ryan: Should announce it, waiting till academic year is good. Stipend
result – Prior notice going out for programming chair position, and
12) 8:10 Health Families & State Health Programs (Jess)
Adam: repeated status in previous email. University working on it.
Jessica: People in med school and clinics are active.
Adam: we need the admin to keep us in the loop.
Eric: should we invite someone?
(no get us in the loop)
result – [On agenda for 19th.]
13) 8:25 Housing Lockout Policy (Eric)
Eric: On agenda for discussion on the 19th? More talk?
Justin: In contact with the admins, got lots of info. Will send to list.
Result – Wait on more news.
14) 8:40 New Business (Eric)
Item: Justin to Funding Committee? – by consensus.
Item: Shirts are here.
Item: Put GSC meeting on NGSO calendar? – Yes.
Item: Extra money for food if we do that? [next meeting]
Adjourned at 8:45