Notification for funding committee meetings (2012-2013):
VSOs should apply at least 15 days in advance on mygroups2, to make sure to be evaluated on time for funding. While we can be flexible after that deadline, there is a risk of not being able to meet all the requirements if you apply last minute, which can result in not being able to get any funding. GSC does not fund retroactively, therefore if your event is held before the next available GSC meeting, you won’t be able to get approved.
Please take a look at the dates when meetings will be held.
Winter funding committee meetings will occur at 6:30pm in the GSC/GSPB office (2nd floor GCC) on the following dates:
February 19th( Tuesday)
In case of a change in the Schedule you will be notified, if you applied by the deadline to receive the invitation ( Friday morning for the next Monday).
The active membership is calculated based on the average attendance of the VSO events for the year. For example, the VSO XXX is holding 5 events in the academic year 2012-2013. Two events have a 60 students expected attendance, and the three other events have a 100 students attendance. Then the active membership of XXX is (60*2+100*3)*1/5=84.
One of the 3 pillars of the Graduate Student Council is Funding Student Groups. Graduate students may request GSO Partition funds from the GSC for their student group’s event(s). If you are interested in requesting funding, please read all of the material below very carefully. There are hundreds of student organizations. Almost every group needs money and we are here to help your group successful financially. Again, read the following carefully.
Please keep these things in mind when requesting GSC funds:
1. You must be an up-to-date, registered VSO through the Student Activities and Leadership Office (SAL). Go to sal.stanford.edu for more information.
2. The Financial Officer of your group is responsible for all monetary requests and, thus must have attended a banking workshop. Go to sal.stanford.edu for the schedule.
3. The GSC is merely a funding source, not a bank. Any banking related questions (including time to reimbursement) can be asked of SSE. Go to sse.stanford.edu for contact information.
4. VSOs must post event information to grad-events at least one full week before the event date. Go to gsc.stanford.edu -> Grad Event -> Submit Event to post.
5. The GSC is a first come, first serve funding source, and there are many things the GSC will not fund. Please read the GSC funding bylaws (below) thoroughly and request funding at least two weeks prior to an event.
6. GSC funding recommendation meeting invitations are sent every Friday night/Saturday morning to VSO leaders who have submitted online applications by 10am on Friday. At least one leader from the requesting VSO must attend the 5:30pm Monday meeting, and at least one leader from the VSO must attend the subsequent 6:00pm Wednesday GSC meeting.
The Goals of the Graduate Student Organization (GSO) Partition Fund:
As per the GSC By-Laws (Article III, Section 2, Subsection C.2), activities funded through the GSGF shall pursue at least one (and hopefully more) of the following goals:
1. Provide a broader educational and cultural experience for graduate students.
2. Enhance interdepartmental social interaction among graduate students.
3. Strengthen the campus-wide sense of community among graduate students.
4. Make the graduate school experience more valuable and enjoyable for all graduate students.
Eligibility for Funding:
In order to apply for GSO Partition funds, groups must meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. The group must be a Voluntary Student Organization (VSO) registered with the Student Activities and Leadership Office.
2. The group must run events with at least 31% graduate versus undergraduate participation.
3. The group must NOT receive any funds from a special fee.
4. Event and group must be open to entire graduate community.
5. All advertising should feature the GSC logo and/or “Sponsored by the GSC” or “Co-sponsored by the GSC,” whichever is appropriate.
How to Receive GSC Funds:
1. The Financial Officer must fill out the appropriate funding request at mygroups2.stanford.edu/ and should refer to the Funding Policy (above) for assistance. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any technical questions.
2. The GSC funding recommendation meetings are held every Monday at 5:30pm in the GSC/GSPB office (2nd floor of GCC). Invitations to the meeting are sent every Friday night/Saturday morning, but anyone is welcome to attend.
3. The GSC meetings are held every Wednesday at 6:00pm in the Nairobi room. All are welcome to attend.
4. One representative from any requesting VSO must attend both the GSC funding recommendation meeting and the subsequent GSC meeting. No funding decisions are finalized until the Wednesday GSC meeting. Please request funds at least two weeks in advance of your event date.
The Rights of Groups Applying for Funding:
Any group applying for funding from the GSO Partition may attend any meeting where their application will be discussed. This includes Funding Committee meetings as well as full GSC meetings (all such meetings are always open to the public). Groups applying for GSO Partition funds will be notified of the time and location of all relevant meetings at least 48 hours in advance. If either the Funding Committee or the GSC fails to meet the requirement and the group is not able to send a representative to the meeting as a result, the group may, within one week, request that their application be re-evaluated at a time when a member of their organization is able to attend.